Official Challenge Entry Thread-July

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignore this post - please see above for official entry. ☺

1437861672033.jpg

1437861690408.jpg

1437861733093.jpg

1437861759073.jpg

1437861865713.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I didnt have time to do another one today so I'll post the one I did a few days ago. It looks ok. I wish there had been more beige in it. When I went to turn over the mold today, I found out all the white was at the bottom. Go figure.

I used 2 types of steps.
I used "C" the pull down (used vertically and horizontally) and "B" the diagonal loop.

I used concentrated wine in my soap (Shiraz) and used Pink Musk FO from WSP. I colored w/ red reef clay and TD, I left one portion of the soap uncolored.

My steps were:
1. C, Pull down,
2. C, pull down (turned the mold)
3. C, Pull down mold turned
4. B, 3x (back to original position
5. B, 3x, mold turned
6. B, diagonal across entire mold
7. C, Pull down (turned mold)
8. C, Pull down, original position
9, C, Pull down again

Pour

Tool

Step 1.

Step 2.

IMG_20150721_225458.jpg

IMG_20150721_225512.jpg

IMG_20150721_225549.jpg

IMG_20150721_225641.jpg

Last edited:
Too frustrating, tried to just cut and paste from an earlier post but no can do. Not sure I am late, I am fine being DQ'd, I just want to make sure our official entry numbers stay up.

Pour: Regular funnel

Swirls in order: all w/chopstick

B (diagonal loop)

A (zigzag): one big one from corner to corner (like an inverted V)

E (leapfrog): two big rows (one atop the other) horizontally.

Thoughts about the challenge, generally.

Never really used a slab mold before. Still prefer the discovery aspects of swirling in a loaf, but fun to see the immediate effects here, also to have the pattern go all the way through the bar, at least when using the funnel pour. Didn’t love the swirls, or at least mine, but could see how people who are good w/slabs do.

Much more ash. I usually do not get ash in my log molds. Pretty much all of these ashed. My formula was a little different than the usual one b/c I was trying to keep it as simple and slow to trace as possible, maybe will try again w/the standard one to see if there is a difference.

Harder to cut these than w/a log, bars seemed to need more trimming.

Repetition really helped me be more thoughtful about what I was actually trying to do with the swirls. More careful about trace levels. Drawbacks of overswirling/swirling too tightly/using too many colors

Aargh, will not let m.e cut and paste the pics, let me try in another post, I hope that is OK

Ok, this is making me crazy. Can't find the original pics on the laptop, and can't cut and paste from the other thread. I am going to DQ myself, but hope I still count as an "entrant" for numbers purposes? Here's the link to the orig. challenge thread page w/the pics. It won't let me cut and paste the pics in whole or individually, I am giving up.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=54947&page=31

I will do better on the official posting the next time, promise.

Last edited:
That's weird... I can see all of my pictures. Hmm.

Annnnd now I can't...I have to figure this out. Sorry. Will you give me 10 min? I promise it was working perfect when I first uploaded them for at least ten min! Don't know what happened!!

Ok, I uploaded them. Something must've happened to the link I used to upload them since it was through my pictures in my email. It was probably temporary. They aren't going anywhere this time.

Last edited:
Thank you, newbie. Sorry you had to do that. I'm 100% sure it was a pain, since I spent 45 ms trying to do it and couldn't. Lesson learned for next time, Saponista is lucky there is a learning curve!

Back