Off to my first market!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I've been procrastinating all year, but I really need to clear out my shelves so I can make more soap!! I've run out of people to give it to, as they all have shelves full as well! :lol:

I'm going to do a flyer on 'Caring for your handmade soap' to put in the bags with the soap, and wanted some ideas. It'll be along the lines of:

Although your handmade soap and other bath and body items are made with the freshest, highest quality ingredients, they do have a shelf life.

You should attemt to use your items within 6 months of the purchase date, but to ensure they last in the best possible condition, here are some tips:
- Keep your items in a cool, dry place
- Allow your soap to dry out between uses.

And that's about as far as I've gotten. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

" when using hand made soap instead of washing with the entire bar, cut slivers off that can be used for a few showers at a time, this will prolong the life of your bar"

hows that?? :)

I think the word although sounds like an excuse or an apology. My daughter prefaces bad news with the words "because" or "although".

How about somthing like this: Your handmade soap, and other bath and body items, are made with the freshest, highest quality ingredients. They are at their finest when used within 6 months of the purchase date.

You could add: We could have added chemicals to extend their shelf life, but aren't you glad we didn't?

For a longer lasting bar of soap, here are some tips:
- Keep your items in a cool, dry place.
- Allow your soap to dry out between uses.

That's a really good point Tab. I do like your wording better!

Ian, as a (fussy) buyer, if I was told to cut pieces of my bar to use, I wouldn't buy that item again. I see your reason for it, but that suggestion would turn me off the product :lol:

I can tell you how to make a bar last forever, but NO one would do it.

It's an old depression trick. You get your wash rag wet, but not the soap. You rub your dry soap over your wet rag to get the rag soapy. Your soap never gets submerged so it lasts forever.

Yep, older people have a lot they could teach us about saving money.... if only we would listen...

Tabitha said:
I can tell you how to make a bar last forever, but NO one would do it.

It's an old depression trick. You get your wash rag wet, but not the soap. You rub your dry soap over your wet rag to get the rag soapy. Your soap never gets submerged so it lasts forever.
This is how we always did it..............and I am not that old. :lol: :lol: I have told many to use a scrubbie and they report back what a difference with bubbles, lasting soap and it just feels good. If only I could get DH to use one. I even got him a manly brown one and hung it in the shower! I got a sack design and put his soap in it. He will still grab a bare bar.

Digit

Hey Becky,

Yes - Tabitha's wording is fantastic! Tab, do you mind if I use something along those lines as well? I have just placed my soap (MP) at my hairdresser's salon (at her insistence :) ) and feel I really need to educate purchasers about using handmade soap.......

Becky, best wishes for a successful day at your first market, and may I pm you with a blurb I have come up with for my hairdresser to show her clients about my soaping? Something in there may give you an idea or two. I would reproduce it here, but it is two pages long! :lol:

Tanya :D

topcat, anything I post on the forum is fair game. If I send it PM... well that might be a horse of a different color :wink: .

Wishing you good luck on your market Becky. :) I know you will fare well. Be sure to let us know how you do. I hope you have fun. We have a blast at craft shows and farmers market.

Paul :wink:

how did you get your hairdresser to agree on placing your soaps there? i've asked mine several times and they won't respond.

how did you get your hairdresser to agree on placing your soaps there? i've asked mine several times and they won't respond.

Hi jenmarie82, I had a 3rd party recommendation. I actually gave my sister-in-law a new bar of soap to try while we were at the hairdressers, and my hairdresser saw this, and asked did I actually make soap, etc. My s.i.l. then raved about how lovely my soap was and the rest followed.

Something else to try could be to offer your hairdresser something more than a commission on each soap - perhaps a bar of soap freebie each month from a new soap batch to assist you with developing more lovely soap recipes i.e. for feedback? In my experience people love to help out. If you ask for advice or help they often respond positively :)

Tanya, feel free to PM or email, that would be great!

My market went pretty well, I made just over $250 - booth fee was only $17, so I made that back in spades. :lol: It was one of those 'Better than I thought, worse than I hoped' kind of things. Not bad for my first appearance, and had a lot of people wishing they had bought more cash (a lot of people go down just to buy plants or honey etc, there is rarely any new vendors so I kind of caught them by surprise).

I had some (cough) interesting customers. One lady wanted to know what my soap would do. I told her it would get her clean. She said 'And??' so I said 'And it will smell nice'. Her response was 'AND??!'. I said 'And nothing, it's just soap! :shock: '. She proceeded to smell every bar of soap and made big, obvious gagging noises at all of them! I just smiled and told her yes, scent is a really personal thing, how about this scent? She eventually bought a bar, tho.

I just smiled and told her yes, scent is a really personal thing, how about this scent? She eventually bought a bar, tho.

Becky, your forbearance is only surpassed by your good temper! I'm not sure how I would have handled that one :roll:

Congratulations on doing so well. Once the regulars know you they will develop loyalty....although wasn't it you who said on another thread (maybe aussie swap) that you are moving soon? Perhaps if you have time once you are settled in your new life you can suss out your local market there too.

Tanya :)

She proceeded to smell every bar of soap and made big, obvious gagging noises at all of them!
There is at least one in every crowd. I think I would have said "The pink will make Johnny Depp fall in love with you & the yellow one will make you grow a third arm." Really, I would have :lol: !

I really wanted to tell her that they would give you a facelift & wash all the fat off your bum, but thought better of it. I figured that selling her one bar and possibly making a convert out of her was better revenge than a smart mouthed answer :lol:

Tanya, yep I'm moving in about 8 weeks, to a tiny town with a permanant population of about 15 people, to run my Dad's pub. DH can't wait to be a publican, he is so excited!

I'm actually only at the markets now because I'm trying to use up all my supplies, and have run out of people to give soap to, I've already given them all several months supply!! I hadn't planned to start selling until I had my logo & all that sort of stuff set up.

The move is only for a year tho, so with any luck I'll have a customer base waiting desperately for me to get back :lol:

Becky said:
I really wanted to tell her that they would give you a facelift & wash all the fat off your bum, but thought better of it. I figured that selling her one bar and possibly making a convert out of her was better revenge than a smart mouthed answer :lol:
This is best, but most likely I would have responded like Tab. "It will make you more tolarable in polite company." She will probably be looking for you next week to buy more!! Glad all went well at market for you!

Population = 15? Now that's a small community!

Digit

PS Your swap item smells divine!!!!

Back