Off my proverbial meds....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all I have a couple of things to share today that didn't really fit into an existing thread:

First an announcement. I did it! Filed the papers yesterday to start a soap making company. What do y'all think of the logo? (Be kind but honest.) It's only intended to be a part-time gig for the next few years until retirement, but that just gives me more time to improve my craft. It also allows me to write-off some of the expense of making soap.
VB_4-10-19-2.jpg

Second, my wife, Janice, has been participating in an online weekly video conference related to some fitness goals she's been working on, (Looking awesome BTW!) and she has thoroughly enjoyed the experience of live interaction with people with similar interests. What would y'all think about setting up a video conference for any of us who'd like to chat, get to know one another, talk about soap, etc?

I like the "soap works" font. I also like the "vine and branches" concept, but I think the font with the little vines makes it hard to read. Maybe if the vines were a darker shade, or maybe it's the shadow behind it? That might be it. All the busy-ness confuses my tired eyes. I like that little hummingbird, but I wish I could see him better.

Was that kind enough?

As for video conferencing... What I like about the forum is friendly support, without having to clean up ahead of time. You can't see my kitchen!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the "soap works" font. I also like the "vine and branches" concept, but I think the font with the little vines makes it hard to read. Maybe if the vines were a darker shade, or maybe it's the shadow behind it? That might be it. All the busy-ness confuses my tired eyes. I like that little hummingbird, but I wish I could see him better.

Was that kind enough?
Yes! Thank you! I removed the shadow from the printed logo for exactly the reason you cited. I agree it’s a bit busy. The “&” gets, literally, “lost on the weeds.” It’s still a work in progress. Thanks for your feedback.

Overall I like it. I agree with artemis that taking out the shadow would be an improvement. Also make the ampersand a bit bigger - I missed it at first. I'm a 'less is more' kind of person, so take that into consideration.
Edit: Well, I see you've already addressed this :)

As for video conferencing... What I like about the forum is friendly support, without having to clean up ahead of time. You can't see my kitchen!
LOL. Good point. Admittedly, I’m probably more sociable than the “average bear” soapmaker. It’s the CEO in me. Maybe it’s a once a quarter thing.

Overall I like it. I agree with artemis that taking out the shadow would be an improvement. Also make the ampersand a bit bigger - I missed it at first. I'm a 'less is more' kind of person, so take that into consideration.
Edit: Well, I see you've already addressed this :)
Still...it reinforces the point. Thanks.

I'm a 'less is more' kind of person, so take that into consideration.

Me, too. I think a logo needs to be recognizable without my glasses on.

Yes! That does a lot. Now, about that color... Green is my current favorite, but this color, despite being so bright, is not the first thing I see. That bold, dark, "soap works" is where my eye goes.

This is how my brain works. Every time you make a change I'm going to see another thing... Sorry.

Yes! That does a lot. Now, about that color... Green is my current favorite, but this color, despite being so bright, is not the first thing I see. That bold, dark, "soap works" is where my eye goes.

This is how my brain works. Every time you make a change I'm going to see another thing... Sorry.
No, NO! VERY helpful. This is the value of a forum like this. To me, the green says fresh, living and vibrant, but you are correct that "Soapworks" is what calls your attention. In my mind that was a good thing, but I definitely see your point. Maybe if I switch the colors. BTW...I solemnly promise not to fill this thread up with endless tweaks to my logo... Maybe one more if you all will grant me a measure of grace.

Hey all I have a couple of things to share today that didn't really fit into an existing thread:

First an announcement. I did it! Filed the papers yesterday to start a soap making company. What do y'all think of the logo? (Be kind but honest.) It's only intended to be a part-time gig for the next few years until retirement, but that just gives me more time to improve my craft. It also allows me to write-off some of the expense of making soap.
View attachment 38547
Second, my wife, Janice, has been participating in an online weekly video conference related to some fitness goals she's been working on, (Looking awesome BTW!) and she has thoroughly enjoyed the experience of live interaction with people with similar interests. What would y'all think about setting up a video conference for any of us who'd like to chat, get to know one another, talk about soap, etc?

Ooohhhh, this is BeAu-Ti-Ful!!! :dance:I love the design. Im really digging the whole design. I would make the words/symbol in brown a bit bigger. I ’ve been trying myself to do a label and it’s not working out. What program did you use for this?

what would it look like if you made vines & branches in brown and the soapworks in green to mtch the vines
I’m working on that variation now. I’m going to make the green more toward olive and try flipping them between the burgundy and green as options. I told y’all I was “color-challenged.” Apparently that’s not just limited to soap colors. Figures.

Ooohhhh, this is BeAu-Ti-Ful!!! :dance:I love the design. Im really digging the whole design. I would make the words/symbol in brown a bit bigger. I ’ve been trying myself to do a label and it’s not working out. What program did you use for this?
Pixlr. It’s a free Google graphics design program.

Yes, better! I love the green you are using. A bit more olive would probably be very nice as well, but the current shade says fresh, clean and spring to me. Which might be affecting my overall judgement since everything here is still pretty brown and I’m aching for the spring green. What if you left the vines in green and changed all the words to the burgundy. Or maybe try an eggplant for the darker color. The hummingbird maybe teal, turquoise or the same color as the words but I actually like it as is.

Last edited:
I’m working on that variation now. I’m going to make the green more toward olive and try flipping them between the burgundy and green as options. I told y’all I was “color-challenged.” Apparently that’s not just limited to soap colors. Figures.
I like it the way it is....fyi...just me.

One more thing - is your name already registered? I’m only asking because to my mind I would use plural or singular. Vines & Branches or Vine & Branch. But that really isn’t a big deal.

This is better. Are you married to the green hummingbird? Is it at all possible to give the hummingbird a color that would pop a bit more? I do really like the little hummer, but he's sort of invisible being the same color as the vines.
I'll have to "pray" about the bird. He's kinda baked into the font, so I'll need to explore editing options. I do agree with you that if he's gonna be there, he should be a feature and not a distraction.

Couple of more options...
Better 1?
VB_4-24-19-Olive 1.png

or better 2?
VB_4-24-19-Brown.png

Can I see the words in the darker color and the rest in green? Or didn’t you like that idea? Or maybe vine & branches in the dark and soapworks and the artwork in green? Between the two, I like option #2 better.

Latest posts

Back