Of sizes and titanium...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
Thanks to the many replies I've gotten to my questions on this forum and lots of individual research I think I'm at a point where I'm more than comfortable about getting my first batch done and until that happens (and depending on what, if any, issues arise) I won't have any more process-related questions for a bit. My next questions are more the aesthetically inclined things that go along with soap making.
So my first question is more of a curiosity and I well aware that it's all a matter of personal taste like colors and scents. What would be considered a standard size for a bar of soap? Most of the loaf molds that I've seen in the recent couple of days of looking at molds are all in the 3.5"W x 2.5"D range. I was kind of envisioning a bar that's a tad bit wider (3.75") but that seems to be in the range of a custom made mold.
After I've taken the time to perfect a recipe that I'm happy with I'd like to start to introduce some coloring into the soap and, due to limited research on colors at this point, I'm trying to figure out if, for a HP soap, would I add the titanium dioxide to the oil at trace or to the final batch before molding? Initially I'd like to get some white swirls in with the natural colors of the soap. In time i'll get bolder with the desire to experiment more.

As always, thanks for any replies/information.

I've only done CP and this is how I add td to the mix. 1TBL ppo mixed with a little glycerin. I also sift the td as I'm adding to the glycerin so I don't get td spots in the soap. I add this to the soap batter at light trace. I now have a little badger mixer that I use to mix colors too.

I only make gm soap that turns the batter beige, so you may not have to use as much td as I use.

I use water soluble TD and mix in a small squeeze bottle about 2:1 water:TD and just add it till it's where I want it. I only make milk soaps and have never had to use a Tablespoon per lb of soap.

As to the mold size, my molds are 2.5 x 3.5 and I usually cut my bars 1.25". Alternatively, you could use a tall & skinny mold. I have a T&S mold from Nurture Soap Supplies that is 2.5 x 4.5, so your width would still be 2.5, but you could make the height whatever you like. I love the Nurture molds and I think they are worth every penny. I know a lot of people also use the T&S mold from American Soap Supplies and seem to really like those too.

If you want to add color (or TD) to the whole batch, you can add it as the others have suggested. If you want swirls, you will need to split off a part of the batch and add the TD to that part only. I use a water soluble TD.

As to the mold size, my molds are 2.5 x 3.5 and I usually cut my bars 1.25". Alternatively, you could use a tall & skinny mold. I have a T&S mold from Nurture Soap Supplies that is 2.5 x 4.5, so your width would still be 2.5, but you could make the height whatever you like. I love the Nurture molds and I think they are worth every penny. I know a lot of people also use the T&S mold from American Soap Supplies and seem to really like those too.
TD.

I love NS molds. Have you seen they are offering more sizes now? And just the wood parts now if your inclined to lining your own molds.

I feel a 1-1/4 x 3-1/4 for standard size bars. Now that being said the tallness the standard bars may very. Lol.

Latest posts

Back