odor problem cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyndham

Reaction score
We are still beginners in making soaps and have run into a problem with some soap made about 2 months ago. The odor is not rancid but just a bit off or stale.The recipe is olive oil, coconut, palm ,(some were with shea butter) castor, avocado or sweet almond. at the time I simply used the palm oil straight from the container. I later learn to heat and stir before adding to the batch. I was wondering if this might be the issue. All the other oils were fresh batches with no off odor the lids were secured on each 7 lb bucket after each use. the soap cured about 5wks and heat sealed with a part of the bottom oped to smell the fo which was a blend of sea breeze and cotton tree. any ideas where the stale scent might be coming from.

Is there an expiration date on the grape oil? If it is past the expiration date, that might be your problem. I don't heat seal my cp soaps, that might also have caused the soap to go stale, after curing for only 5 weeks.

After only five weeks there was probably still water left in the bars. By putting them in plastic you may have inadvertently trapped said water causing it to stagnate.

I am curious. Why did you wrap the bars in plastic?

I typically wrap mine in shrink-wrap around 5 weeks with no issue so im not sure thats it but what are you curing them on? Something i didnt know when I started was that metal can cause the oils to go rancid and there is a smell that results.

After only five weeks there was probably still water left in the bars. By putting them in plastic you may have inadvertently trapped said water causing it to stagnate.

I am curious. Why did you wrap the bars in plastic?
We have a pottery shop and are adding cp soap to our shop. I wanted to keep them from getting shop worn by people handling them

I'm thinking of making a clear plastic band and taping it close with a stickon label with info whith the sides are open instead of heat seal.I wondered about the heat with the heat gun being too much heat on the soap

I'm thinking of making a clear plastic band and taping it close with a stickon label with info whith the sides are open instead of heat seal.I wondered about the heat with the heat gun being too much heat on the soap
I think your soap just needs a longer cure before sealing.
I love OO soap and don’t get a smell from the OO but pomace oil might be different.

Did you CPOP your soap? Sometimes if you heat your soap during this process it gets a weird smell. But that is 150*F plus for a sustained period.

Many people beat seal their soap after a long cure so I don’t think it would be the heat sealing.

Back