Odd idea...but could I use a whipped butter in soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyGoats

Reaction score
My problem is, I have waaay to much Maple Cream Whipped Body Butter. (it's an amazing scent, just not one for using as a whipped butter ;))

Sooo, would I be able to use in/on/layer it/etc in a CP soap?

This is the recipe:
25.38% Coconut Oil
24.40% Cocoa Butter
24.40% Shea Butter
25% Almond Oil

Like I said, odd question :lol:http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
You could use it in your CP soap as the oil portion. Just enter it into your lye calculator and follow the instructions. You won't be able to use it in layers in the soap, it really needs to saponify.

However, I must say that I might would add some lard, tallow, or palm oil (50% of the total oils by weight, probably) to bring that total Coconut Oil percentage down to the 20% or lower range in the soap to prevent that tight, dry feeling skin. That would also bring those butters down to help your lather. And I would probably also add 5% Castor Oil and 1 Tblspn sugar PPO to boost the lathering quality of that soap. Remember that oil properties change significantly once you saponify them.

Last edited:
+1 Susie. My initial thought was to use it as a component of several future batches, maybe at 25% of the total oil weight. Tops. That's a lot of butters, although plenty of people do use them in CP soap at pretty high percentages.

The percentages above only sum to 99.18, so my math here is slightly in doubt. If you correct that, I'll be happy to re-work the below.

Using a weighted average (off that 99.18% total), the weighted SAP value is 0.147 (mostly because of the coconut oil). The closest in SoapCalc is Cohune Oil (slightly below at 0.146 to allow a touch of extra SF), so I'd use that to stand in for your mix.

Cool! So I could try using it :) Scent dissipating isn't wanted cause it's a nice scent in soap, but I can top it up with more FO in the recipe...

Back