October 2022 SMF Soap Challenge – Laminar Flow Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. dibbles - off to start obsessing about color combinations
2. The Phoenix - Time to dust off my dividers.
3. melonpan - have been wanting to try this for some time!
4. Kiwimoose - alright then, you twisted my rubber arm
5. Mx5inpenn - count me in with another Christmas-y plan
6. MrsZ - I would like to try this one!
7. dmcgee5034 - am I too late to sign up? It’ll be my first challenge, and looks fun! 🌸

Phooey. Made my first attempt and it was a disaster. My DIY dividers became unmoored and ruined the design. What a mess. I don’t have time to try it again and don’t want to waste raw ingredients trying to get it right. Oh well! Enjoy (and good luck), everyone!
Mine did that on my second batch 😡

7. dmcgee5034 - am I too late to sign up? It’ll be my first challenge, and looks fun! 🌸
8. VikingChick - This sounds like fun!

Hmm. So I cut the disaster. It’s not the intended design, but it looks really cool! Just pulled the trigger and bought real dividers. So, if I get them in time, I’ll try again. I REALLY like the color combination. Stay tuned…
You're making me think about it. I've been going back and forth on this for a while, thinking cardboard ones work *just* fine... let's see!

I've finally decided on my color theme, a nostalgic one. I abandoned my original idea with 5 (!) colours as it's my first time trying this technique, and I feel more relaxed haha. I'm going with 3.

I'm really hoping I can fit a soaping session in-between other things. I'm also on vacation for a week before the end of the month, so I'll either do this before next Friday, or as soon as I'm back. I'm going to double check the deadline for the entry submission now to make sure I have enough time for the cut 🤞

9. these look like 1970s Marimekko prints - very cool!

9. Vicki C - these look like 1970s Marimekko prints - very cool!

I gave it a go. I did the best I could with the fluidity of the batter, but it was very thick when I neared the top. It would be better to have proper fixed partitions to make this soap, I used cardboard ones which struggled once the soap got thicker. I think it will turn out alright except for the top layer.

I gave it a go. I did the best I could with the fluidity of the batter, but it was very thick when I neared the top. It would be better to have proper fixed partitions to make this soap, I used cardboard ones which struggled once the soap got thicker. I think it will turn out alright except for the top layer.
Can’t wait to see it, @KiwiMoose! I’m making a batch tomorrow 🌸

I made another try today. I like my second color scheme much better, but the pattern isn't as nice. I poured too fast at the end and broke through some of the colors. 🥴

Me today:
Ok, todays is the day! So excited! I’ve been obsessed with making this soap all last week! I can’t believe of all weekends, this one I had to work on Saturday. Seriously 😳

This coconut oil in a tub is harder to scoop out then I thought…
Oh no!!! My scale batteries are low! Oh darn, there it goes…
(rummages in battery drawer - whew! Thank goodness I’m like my dad with a lifetime supply of EVERY battery invented) crisis averted.
Yum! This FO is delicious! Hubby in the background - “that’s smells great!” as Skittles commercial comes on during football game halftime. Smell the Rainbow from NS, obvi 😉
Argh, my mini mixer is sooo unreliable, new batteries inserted during color mixing.
Don’t forget to add the FO chants in my head throughout the soaping
Random soapy stuff occurs in safety gear…..
This pigment looks nothing like what I expected - what the fizz!?!?
I remembered the FO - YAY me!
Stir stir stir… is this the right consistency? 2 out of 4 looking good, one going faster, one not getting there - mentally face palms…. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Oh my goodness… I am seriously freaking out!! 🫣😬😵😲
Recalls what @Zany_in_CO said in a post I read last night as a rule of soap making - DO NOT PANIC
Ok, do not panic - you got this or not and it will be ok
Starts to pour… slow slow slow
Keeps pouring - IT IS WORKING! I cannot believe it, it’s actually working like the videos!
Hubby comes over to make some coffee, and sneaks a peek, “Wow! That looks just like the video. That’s really cool. Don’t mess it up.” LOL - don’t jinx me! Continues to watch… “You got this, you really got this. You’re in the home stretch!”
DONE! Look away, it’s too exciting! Better than I hoped for. Carefully tuck her into the fridge since she’s made with GM. In the words of David Lee Roth, “She’s beautiful”
Now to wait and wait for the cut. Positive thoughts and anticipation….. 🌸

Back