October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try #4 is wrapped up for the night. Used @Jersey Girl's suggestion and lined the mold with freezer paper instead. Definitely made the pour easier since I wasn't trying to avoid the liner-mold gap.

But I didn't think of adding extra batter to account for not having the thick silicone liner inside the mold, soooo my bars may be a short and skinny shimmy. 😝

As they say, if it's not one thing, it's your mother.

PS - I love my mom and often tease her with that, so please don't PM me about disrespecting my elders, k? ;)

Ah well, it seems that each try is worse than the next, per the pic below. Top soap is first try, which is disqualified from entering since I posted the pic here. At the time, I was thinking, "That was easy! That was fun! I'll just make another one." (said in a sing-song voice like playground kids).

My second soap was shredded bc it was lye-heavy, so the middle pic is my third try. You can see the shimmy slipping away...

The soap on the bottom is my fourth try. I didn’t calculate for the extra batter needed when lining with freezer paper instead of the thick silicone mold. So it is a not-tall-not-skinny-not-shimmy. 😂😭

I'm out of time before the cut-off, so good luck to all who entered. Really beautiful soaps there!

D01B17AE-8A2A-4606-9276-71CEA37C10DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah well, it seems that each try is worse than the next, per the pic below. Top soap is first try, which is disqualified from entering since I posted the pic here. At the time, I was thinking, "That was easy! That was fun! I'll just make another one." (said in a sing-song voice like playground kids).

My second soap was shredded bc it was lye-heavy, so the middle pic is my third try. You can see the shimmy slipping away...

The soap on the bottom is my fourth try. I didn’t calculate for the extra batter needed when lining with freezer paper instead of the thick silicone mold. So it is a square-not-skinny-not-shimmy. 😂😭

I'm out of time before the cut-off, so good luck to all who entered. Really beautiful soaps there!

View attachment 50958
I’m really sorry the soap gods were not kind to you the last couple try’s. 😓 Your first attempt was really terrific. I made the same mistake of putting up a picture in the sign up thread of one of my attempts thinking I could use it for my entry if need be. This was not an easy technique and I think it’s hard to get consist results. 😔

The soap on the bottom is my fourth try. I didn’t calculate for the extra batter needed when lining with freezer paper instead of the thick silicone mold. So it is a square-not-skinny-not-shimmy. 😂😭

View attachment 50958
I like those colors, it’s like a pastel contemporary painting

Love all the entries and commentaries on this thread and especially the gripping documentary posted by @Jersey Girl . This design has been on my bucket list for awhile, but first I have to get a tall mold. And I'll just add -- warmly and with great affection --
SSHHHHHH our husbands might hear you say that!!! 😄Mine used to tell people how much money we saved because I made all of our soap. He hasn't said that for a long time tho. 🤣
that some of us have wives (** rushes to erase Brambleberry.com shopping cart**). :)

The entry thread is now closed. All participants will receive a voting link within the next couple of hours.

@AliOop I'm so sorry you weren't able to recreate your first beautiful shimmy! This technique is indeed a lot trickier than it looks..

I did finally buy a replacement scale at Target (should have tried there first!) But the batch I made thickened up to fast & I had to alter my design. Knowing it wasn't going to be a shimmy, I went ahead and started a new batch by partially masterbatching the oils into a container and took it on the road with me, planning to finish up the soap the next night.

But that didn't happen. I concluded there was no way the soap would have time to harden enough to be unmolded and cut and photographed in time for the deadline. So I chose a decent night's sleep over stressing myself out knowing I couldn't meet the deadline. Even 6 extra hours would likely not have been enough, as it turns out as I ended up blowing a tire on the interstate in the pouring rain the next afternoon. Kitty Baby and I sat in the car on the shoulder for just under 2 hours waiting for a tow to a tire place, where my spare was put on for me. Once we arrived to our hotel that night, my exhaustion would have prevented me from going through all that with the soap, so I'm glad I chose sleep over stress. The next day I got the blown tire replaced for free because it was still under warranty & I have hazard insurance on my tires. Then drove the final few hundred miles home.

I still haven't unmolded or cut the soap I did make; maybe later tonight or tomorrow morning. Today I chose a day of rest, refusing to deal with anything other than a good book until I finished the last page.

Perhaps I can get to making the shimmy with the partially masterbatches oils as planned in the next couple of days. I'll be sure to post an update and photo if it is at least halfway decent looking.

SSHHHHHH our husbands might hear you say that!!! 😄

Mine used to tell people how much money we saved because I made all of our soap. He hasn't said that for a long time tho. 🤣
Oh my gosh Ive gone through so much soap supplies, I've got to order more butters, colors & EO & now a book. They don't understand Its a soaper thing🤣🧼.

I'm so sorry about all the troubles you had @earlene . I hope you'll have a few relaxing days now after all that! ;)

What are the perfect dimensions of the height of the mould for this technique?
I'm not sure about the height.. With is important and should be very slim, I'm not sure how height impacts the design other than that it should compensate for the with to get a decent sized bar (and enough space for several wall pours). My mold is 4,5x9cm (WxH). It works well, but perfect..? Not sure at all.

What are the perfect dimensions of the height of the mould for this technique?

If you search Tall & Skinny moulds they should give you measurements for the soap that will be produced. I have seen some variations. When I made my adaptation to my Essential Depot mold (see this thread) I used the measurements for a soap that would end up being 2.25 inches wide; height with my mold can be as tall as 3.7 inches high, but it can be less, depending on how full I pour the batter. Thickness of the soap is a personal choice. Some choose 1 inch thick; I prefer 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick. I expect you would measure in cm, so use a convertor to determine the appropriate numbers.

And the winners are.....

1st place: @Jersey Girl
2nd place (with only one vote difference): @dibbles
3rd place: @glendam

Congrats to all! I really enjoyed watching all your hard work this month!!
Congrats!!!! @Jersey Girl this is three months in a row! Right? THIS is why i try to copy your designs lol

This was a hard vote. They were all beautiful

Back