October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@glendam I also see a difference in shimmy between end bars and middle bars.. I blame my (cardboard) mold for bulging in the middle. I've also heard the opposite: people who tend to pour less on the edges when going back and forth and therefore have better middle bars (now that I think about it, maybe I'm just an over enthusiastic pour starter)

@earlene I'm so sorry you don't get to make soap because of technical issues! Would've loved to see your entry!

@Peachy Clean Soap fingers crossed your next attempt will not give you issues! ;)

Also, I adore all the entries so far!! Can't wait to see more :) :) :)

Ive decided to use the corrugated plastic mold Ive already used in my other post. Its easier then trying to make a new mold. 👍🏼😉
Beautiful' love the colors too. 🧼🤗
I attempted @ Tall & Skinny Shimmy today the loaf is getting happy lol im excited to see if its worthy of entry' if not I try again. 🤞🏼🧼
Very Pretty 🧼👍🏼
OMG Bummed my soap turned out Dry & Crumbly' it was hard to cut too, maybe I didn't SB good enough cause the soap looked oily in the cups after I separated & add'ed color, also on my SB the batter was separating. I'll try again, hopefully I can come up w/ a half decent shimmy design.
Sorry guys Im supposed to "Merge" my messages together' not sure how to do this? Hope this is correct? 👆🏼🤗
@glendam I also see a difference in shimmy between end bars and middle bars.. I blame my (cardboard) mold for bulging in the middle. I've also heard the opposite: people who tend to pour less on the edges when going back and forth and therefore have better middle bars (now that I think about it, maybe I'm just an over enthusiastic pour starter)

@earlene I'm so sorry you don't get to make soap because of technical issues! Would've loved to see your entry!

@Peachy Clean Soap fingers crossed your next attempt will not give you issues! ;)

Thx so much 🤗🧼

Sorry guys Im supposed to "Merge" my messages together' not sure how to do this? Hope this is correct? 👆🏼🤗

Thx so much 🤗🧼
OMG Thats a long thread' yikes

@earlene :(

@glendam @szaza My best shimmies are always in the middle. The ends tend to be a bit flatter, and I have a feeling that I actually pour more at the beginning. Also make sure you are pouring along the wall, which might help avoid a drop swirl look. Just a thought.
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense, I will keep that in mind!

Thank you for the feedback! I am glad to know there is a reason for the random success on only a few bars from the same mold.

How do you merge the threads/replies? I’m a computer dork. 😬

Regular users cannot merge threads. Only the admins can merge threads.

If you want to reply to multiple users in one reply, however, that's a question for another forum: SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules
Post a question there by starting a new thread on the topic. I don't think there is a recent thread asking that question, and if there is an old one, it's probably too old to be applicable anymore as we have had a few updates to the forum, so the how-to would probably be out-dated.

Regular users cannot merge threads. Only the admins can merge threads.

If you want to reply to multiple users in one reply, however, that's a question for another forum: SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules
Post a question there by starting a new thread on the topic. I don't think there is a recent thread asking that question, and if there is an old one, it's probably too old to be applicable anymore as we have had a few updates to the forum, so the how-to would probably be out-dated.
That’s exactly what I’m asking. I’ll do that. Thank you!

I have been frantically moving house, and it's finally over so I'm back to the forum! Loving the discussion here and the entries thus far. I've done one of these previously and always wanted another go. I will do it again but alas, unlikely to be in time for this challenge! Moving sucks!

That's such a happy looking soap @Peachy Clean Soap !
I think your mold might still be a bit wide for a good shimmy (maybe they should call it the tall and anorexic shimmy, because a very slim mold is important in this technique). If you want to try again with the same mold you could try to elevate it slightly more while pouring on the opposite side. Also make sure to really pour along the wall. I hope you keep trying! And as @AliOop said, if you keep going like this, you'll be eligible to enter soon ;)
I'm not sure if I replied' to you but wanted to thank you for your input its so appreciated. This Shimmy design is tricky' goodness.

I'm not sure if I replied' to you but wanted to thank you for your input its so appreciated. This Shimmy design is tricky' goodness.
@Peachy Clean Soap Edited: NM you fixed it. Pretty soap!

As usual, I didn't notice that the entry deadline was tomorrow. Not sure if I can squeeze in another try before then. Wishing I had just submitted my first try instead of posting it here, since nothing has come close since then. 😭

I'm so sorry your later attempts didn't work out as well as your first one @AliOop !
The deadline is officially tomorrow at 11:59 GMT, but since that is the middle of the night (for me locally - for you it's probably early evening), I might not be able to close the entry thread in time.. Would a few extra hours help you to be able to enter?

Thank you, @szaza, it might help! My time zone is GMT - 6hours. Would that be 6pm my time? If so, and if I'm able to make a batch tonight, then it would be helpful to have a few extra hours for unmolding, cutting, and (my nemesis) photographing. I'll let you know if I'm able to pull off another batch this evening. Thank you!!

@Peachy Clean Soap Edited: NM you fixed it. Pretty soap!

As usual, I didn't notice that the entry deadline was tomorrow. Not sure if I can squeeze in another try before then. Wishing I had just submitted my first try instead of posting it here, since nothing has come close since then. 😭
Totally understand' I liked my 1st too that I posted here, but equally happy w/ my 4th & final try. Hopefully youll have time to squeeze in an entry.

Thank you, @szaza, it might help! My time zone is GMT - 6hours. Would that be 6pm my time? If so, and if I'm able to make a batch tonight, then it would be helpful to have a few extra hours for unmolding, cutting, and (my nemesis) photographing. I'll let you know if I'm able to pull off another batch this evening. Thank you!!
Yup, that's correct!
Also for others, if you're in a pinch, don't give up just yet, you have a few more hours than the official deadline ;)

Latest posts

Back