October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. - Thank you, szaza. I've been meaning to try this again. Didn't turn out so well the first time.
2. MarnieSoapien - I'm not tall or skinny but I think I can make a shimmy!
3. bookreader451 - I tried this before but, I definitely need a second go!
4. dibbles - I'm in and hope I have time for more than one attempt! The outline shimmy continues to elude me.
5. JackieTobey - I’m already intimidated just looking at it. But I’ve learned so much with the last 2 competitions that It will be worth all the frustration and tears. I’m in.
6. DKing - I will make some time for an attempt or two as I already had an idea in my head to try something similar. Now to figure out making a tall mold!
7. AliOOp - getting some soap supplies from an SMF friend this week, so I hope to try this after we get home with all of those.
8. catscankim - ordered a tall skinny mold. hopefully it will be here in time
9.Glendam - This looks like fun!
10. sarahmarah - I’ll give it a whirl
11. linne1gi- This is a fun challenge!
12. Jersey Girl- Been admiring this technique for a while now...time to give it a try!
13. amd - hopefully lucky 13
14.GoatSoapRulz-oohhh my first SMF challenge! I’m so excited! Let’s tackle making this mold first!!
15. KimW - Did a trial run this time, so I'm sure to have something decent for the entry thread! wohoooo :)
16. Peachy Clean Soap- Im in' Yay this is my first SMF challenge. Hope I did this right?.

Can I ask what is a Blob in a Tall & Skinny Design?

That’s awesome. Go to post #75 in this thread ( I think that was the last entry) copy and paste and add your name to the bottom of the list.
thank you 👍🏼🤗🧼

Going to ask hubby to make me a Mold' Oh I hope I have enough lye' im waiting on a delivery. I can always pick some up @ our local Lows' its not ( food grade ) but will work in a pinch. Good Luck My Fellow Soapers' Its an Honor & Pleasure Participating In The Challenge W / Y'all. 🤗🧼❤️

Happy to have you on board @Peachy Clean Soap !
As @Jersey Girl said, the 'blobs' refer to the shape of the wall pours. I called it that because 'pours' can be confusing if you do several layers before switching sides.. ;)
Thank Ü 🤗🧼

I think the term “blob” just refers to the shape you get with each pour.
Thx 🤗🧼❤️

Ive decided to use the corrugated plastic mold Ive already used in my other post. Its easier then trying to make a new mold. 👍🏼😉

Can't wait to see your soap @KiwiMoose ! :)
Here’s my tall and skinny plop and swirl variation. White Sage and Lavender FO with lemongrass EO.
B09897C7-068B-4E75-B282-BE63E1D1966E.jpeg

Here’s my tall and skinny plop and swirl variation. White Sage and Lavender FO with lemongrass EO.
View attachment 50809
Beautiful' love the colors too. 🧼🤗

Ive decided to use the corrugated plastic mold Ive already used in my other post. Its easier then trying to make a new mold. 👍🏼😉
I attempted @ Tall & Skinny Shimmy today the loaf is getting happy lol im excited to see if its worthy of entry' if not I try again. 🤞🏼🧼

I throw my hands up in defeat! The soap I made yesterday has no shimmy 😂 Nice layers, but no shimmy. I think I could do it if I had a helper whose job would be to turn the mold.
I too wish I could layer like that. And brilliant job on the color combo!!
I use for Ione swirls
How do you spell that again? :)

Soooo....I think I’m gonna try one more time. This is my second try. The first one I had a mold fail. I used the tall skinny wood mold from NS. I thought I had bought the silicon liner with it but I hadn’t so it’s 2.5 inches wide which I think makes a difference in the amount of shimmy. Then, as to not waste materials I had the brilliant idea 🙄 to make the mold shorter so I made a cardboard divider and inserted it to make it 7 inches long. Well, all went well until the very last pour when the divider gave way and everything gushed underneath it. Second attempt, pictured here I shored up the divider with some clamps. This time it held, but quite a bit of batter Still leaked underneath. Ugh! So I’m gonna try one more time and maybe do as @sunnysuds did with some cardboard along the sides of the mold to make it skinnier. This is a difficult technique. A lot to take into consideration and prep but I love the challenge so maybe third time will be the charm! 😂
Thats Beautiful 🧼🤗

Ok. Not a good shimmy, but definitely not a soapy fail. It looks way better in person lol. It hardened up a bit after it cooled down lol. I still couldnt wait to see it, so i cut a few bars.its clean up-able lol.

its a keeper, just not for the challenge
Very Pretty 🧼👍🏼

As it turns out, my travel scale wasn't working, so I checked the batteries. They had leaked inside, so I cleaned that up as best as I could, but had to shop for replacement batteries, which I was too tired to do the days of long driving. When I finally got the new batteries I was raring to go, but it still didn't work. I tried cleaning it again to no avail. Guess that scale is ruined. Ah well. I went on a search for a decent scale to take it's place, but with so little time and so few options in the stores I went to, I gave up. There just wasn't enough time to find a replacement scale and make this soap while still on the road. I am bummed!

I am loving the entries so far, though. Beautiful, linne1gi, dibbles & Jersey Girl.

As it turns out, my travel scale wasn't working, so I checked the batteries. They had leaked inside, so I cleaned that up as best as I could, but had to shop for replacement batteries, which I was too tired to do the days of long driving. When I finally got the new batteries I was raring to go, but it still didn't work. I tried cleaning it again to no avail. Guess that scale is ruined. Ah well. I went on a search for a decent scale to take it's place, but with so little time and so few options in the stores I went to, I gave up. There just wasn't enough time to find a replacement scale and make this soap while still on the road. I am bummed!

I am loving the entries so far, though. Beautiful, linne1gi, dibbles & Jersey Girl.
Oh no, earlene! I'm bummed with you. Maybe you could do volume measurements just for the challenge (I think I read where you've done this before...)? bummmmmmmmmed.

I attempted @ Tall & Skinny Shimmy today the loaf is getting happy lol im excited to see if its worthy of entry' if not I try again. 🤞🏼🧼
OMG Bummed my soap turned out Dry & Crumbly' it was hard to cut too, maybe I didn't SB good enough cause the soap looked oily in the cups after I separated & add'ed color, also on my SB the batter was separating. I'll try again, hopefully I can come up w/ a half decent shimmy design.

Latest posts

Back