October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. earlene - Thank you, szaza. I've been meaning to try this again. Didn't turn out so well the first time.
2. MarnieSoapien - I'm not tall or skinny but I think I can make a shimmy!
3. bookreader451 - I tried this before but, I definitely need a second go!
4. dibbles - I'm in and hope I have time for more than one attempt! The outline shimmy continues to elude me.
5. JackieTobey - I’m already intimidated just looking at it. But I’ve learned so much with the last 2 competitions that It will be worth all the frustration and tears. I’m in.
6. DKing - I will make some time for an attempt or two as I already had an idea in my head to try something similar. Now to figure out making a tall mold!
7. AliOOp - getting some soap supplies from an SMF friend this week, so I hope to try this after we get home with all of those.
8. catscankim - ordered a tall skinny mold. hopefully it will be here in time
9.Glendam - This looks like fun!

1. earlene - Thank you, szaza. I've been meaning to try this again. Didn't turn out so well the first time.
4. dibbles - I'm in and hope I have time for more than one attempt! The outline shimmy continues to elude me.
5. JackieTobey - I’m already intimidated just looking at it. But I’ve learned so much with the last 2 competitions that It will be worth all the frustration and tears. I’m in.
6. DKing - I will make some time for an attempt or two as I already had an idea in my head to try something similar. Now to figure out making a tall mold!
7. AliOOp - getting some soap supplies from an SMF friend this week, so I hope to try this after we get home with all of those.
10. sarahmarah - I’ll give it a whirl

Today at 1:15 AM

9. linne1gi - This is a fun challenge!

11. linne1gi- This is a fun challenge!
12. Jersey Girl- Been admiring this technique for a while now...time to give it a try!

The entries numbers got a little off track there for a minute but I think I fixed it!

The nurture basic tall skinny is amazing. I bought one a while ago and I love it. I have the silicone one without the box and I couldn't CPOP because I held the sides in with canned pickles to keep it from bowing.

1601845816241.png

Last edited:
11. linne1gi- This is a fun challenge!
12. Jersey Girl- Been admiring this technique for a while now...time to give it a try!
13. amd - hopefully lucky 13

A while ago I bought the Nurture TS with the green liner and the wood box. Favorite mold ever! My husband is a retired carpenter/builder, and he said that whoever made the box is a very good woodworker. If you knew how picky he is about finish carpentry you'd know what a high compliment that really is.

A while ago I bought the Nurture TS with the green liner and the wood box. Favorite mold ever! My husband is a retired carpenter/builder, and he said that whoever made the box is a very good woodworker. If you knew how picky he is about finish carpentry you'd know what a high compliment that really is.
I bought one a few months ago and haven’t used it yet but here’s my opportunity!

So my first attempt has been put to bed. I was a bit intimidated by this technique (so much to keep track of! So much clean up!) but had some free time today. I knew what I wanted to do, 2 colors, white as the primary color and a thin purple pencil line in the middle to accentuate the shimmy. My batter was good. My EO was good. But you guys, I poured it in the wrong order! :rolleyes: Now my thin purple pencil line is on the outside and not the inside. Pfft.

I'll probably post pictures of my fail in the next couple of days. So you can see what not to do. But, lesson learned! This technique is do-able and I'll try again soon.

So my first attempt has been put to bed. I was a bit intimidated by this technique (so much to keep track of! So much clean up!) but had some free time today. I knew what I wanted to do, 2 colors, white as the primary color and a thin purple pencil line in the middle to accentuate the shimmy. My batter was good. My EO was good. But you guys, I poured it in the wrong order! :rolleyes: Now my thin purple pencil line is on the outside and not the inside. Pfft.

I'll probably post pictures of my fail in the next couple of days. So you can see what not to do. But, lesson learned! This technique is do-able and I'll try again soon.
I want to see the cut! I bet its pretty

I'm so curious how this will turn out!! This is the kind if technique that can really surprise you when you think you failed.. ;)

Well, I thought I would take a stab at this last night, but after I had everything mixed up I realized I hadn't lined my mold, so the soap setup too much to pour. Although now I have a bit of freedom in choosing fragrance and color, so I'll make a small batch for myself (as hubby has used up almost all of the last personal soap batch that I made).

ETA: I knew I had a question to ask... I have a small 600g (oils) T&S mold but it bows a bit. Will the design be affected if I pour and then shore up the sides? Or should I rig up a box to put this in before I pour? Or am I overthinking... I've been known to do that.

@amd, I think you'll be fine with the 600g mold. Well, depending of what you call 'a bit' of course, but my t&s mold also sags a bit and it hasn't dramatically affected my shimmy soaps for as far as I can tell ;)

I am getting a little intimidated by this lol. I have watched the videos. I guess i just dont understand a lot of the process and why they look like they do when cut. But then again, i didnt understand drop swirls until i actually did them either.

My ts mold is “waiting a label” in the shipping process Lol. I think its gonna get a lot of use when it finally gets here

Latest posts

Back