October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Catscankim I think the easiest will be to start with 3 different colors and 6 pours/one pour per side. Make sure to alternate the colors (whatever you don't see has to go in next) and remember to change sides between pours. If you can remember those 2 things, all that's left is a simple wall pour: pour along the wall of the mold with the opposite side elevated. Hope this helps! Sometimes overexplaining can actually make it seem more difficult.. I'm sure you can do it!

@amd I have a mini tall & skinny and it does bow a bit. The design hasn't been affected by this. I do wrap a velcro strap around it after the soap has been poured, or just plane the sides to square them up once out of the mold and cut.

@Catscankim you will love your T&S mold. The reason that the bars look the way they do is that a wall pour is done with the side of the mold elevated. When the next pour is done on the opposite side, with the opposite side elevated the newly poured soap will push the previously poured soap toward the center. Pouring along the wall prevents the batter from breaking through. The result is pretty cool! I think szaza's advice is good using only 3 colors. You could do 7 pours, using one of the colors 3 times, or add an accent color that is used only once.

1. - Thank you, szaza. I've been meaning to try this again. Didn't turn out so well the first time.
2. MarnieSoapien - I'm not tall or skinny but I think I can make a shimmy!
3. bookreader451 - I tried this before but, I definitely need a second go!
4. dibbles - I'm in and hope I have time for more than one attempt! The outline shimmy continues to elude me.
5. JackieTobey - I’m already intimidated just looking at it. But I’ve learned so much with the last 2 competitions that It will be worth all the frustration and tears. I’m in.
6. DKing - I will make some time for an attempt or two as I already had an idea in my head to try something similar. Now to figure out making a tall mold!
7. AliOOp - getting some soap supplies from an SMF friend this week, so I hope to try this after we get home with all of those.
8. catscankim - ordered a tall skinny mold. hopefully it will be here in time
9.Glendam - This looks like fun!
10. sarahmarah - I’ll give it a whirl
11. linne1gi- This is a fun challenge!
12. Jersey Girl- Been admiring this technique for a while now...time to give it a try!
13. amd - hopefully lucky 13
14.GoatSoapRulz-oohhh my first SMF challenge! I’m so excited! Let’s tackle making this mold first!!

@amd I have a mini tall & skinny and it does bow a bit. The design hasn't been affected by this. I do wrap a velcro strap around it after the soap has been poured, or just plane the sides to square them up once out of the mold and cut.
This. This is GENIUS! I'm so glad you're my friend <3
In this Tree Marie video, she uses a homemade wooden frame to serve as a support around her stand-alone silicone mold. And she repurposed one of the frames to use as the stand for tilting her mold for that particular pour. But.... a velcro strap takes up way less room in the soap cupboard - a factor that I am taking into consideration more than I used to do.

What Beautiful Soap' Wow. One Day Id like to join a soap challenge' my skills are far below above pictures lol. Something to look forward to when I have enough post to qualify.
You could always try to get more posts in and enter this month's challenge ;)
You're also welcome to try without entering the challenge and still post your results here for feedback/encouragement. These challenges are meant to be really low-key and just here to push and support you on your soapmaking journey. The requirements to enter are there to prevent people from becoming a member with the sole purpose of entering a challenge. You don't need a certain 'level' of soapmaking to participate ;) (just accept that you will be encouraged to try again!)

Welcome to the challenges @goat soap rulz!

I just cut my Tall and Skinny Shimmy (oops addition). I've already learned quite a bit. I used a cereal box that fit into my normal loaf mold and added some cardboard to the gap on the side so it wouldn't bow. I didn't CPOP like I usually do and this batch took forever to get hard enough to unmold and cut. Now I know that I can't squeeze in a last minute entry.
IMG_20201008_133718.jpg

You could always try to get more posts in and enter this month's challenge ;)
You're also welcome to try without entering the challenge and still post your results here for feedback/encouragement. These challenges are meant to be really low-key and just here to push and support you on your soapmaking journey. The requirements to enter are there to prevent people from becoming a member with the sole purpose of entering a challenge. You don't need a certain 'level' of soapmaking to participate ;) (just accept that you will be encouraged to try again!)
Thx so much' appreciate your reply. Sounds wonderful' im waiting on my new scale to arrive. I bought my 1st scale from Hobby Lobby for $8.00 or so its been a great little scale' but as of late the weight is off bouncing between a couple ounces or tenth of an ounce' Im thinking its time to upgrade' not anything fancy but defiantly nicer features. I so hope its as reliable as my last, once it arrives i'm going work on a pretty soap. Im bitting @ the bit' usually i'm soaping Daily & Im having withdraws . I know all you Happy Soapers can identify. 🧼😃🤣🧼🤗.

she uses a homemade wooden frame to serve as a support around her stand-alone silicone mold.
Yes, I have one for my medium T&S (my large T&S is one that my husband made so it's all wood) but it took me a year to get my husband to make it for me. I didn't dare ask him to make one for my small mold the last time he was working in the shop as he was quite busy making a makeup bench for our daughter and another shelf for show displays. I didn't want to push my luck.

Today I figured out my colors, pour order, and how much batter of each color I would need. The FO is a mystery BB fragrance that I got from a soapmaker. She couldn't remember the name of the FO but remembered that it doesn't accelerate or rice. It's going to be a personal batch, so I'm ok with a mystery fragrance.

I am getting a little intimidated by this lol. I have watched the videos. I guess i just dont understand a lot of the process and why they look like they do when cut. But then again, i didnt understand drop swirls until i actually did them either.

My ts mold is “waiting a label” in the shipping process Lol. I think its gonna get a lot of use when it finally gets here
I have a "mini" tall an skinny loaf mold (actually I have two of them- I bought on twowildhares.com And they are great - you can try out a lot of designs and use way less product. Here's a photo of a tall and skinny soap I made last year. This is one of my favorite designs to make, but it is tricky. Use a very slow moving recipe and a slow moving fragrance.

Attachments

• DFFC1774-5379-4607-98A0-EA792987B313_1_201_a.jpeg
    DFFC1774-5379-4607-98A0-EA792987B313_1_201_a.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back