October 2017 SMF Soap Challenge, simple minimalistic swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off I am so sorry for not responding sooner. I injured my arm pretty badly last night and found myself at the ER all morning and afternoon today. Yes, all of those things I showed you would qualify. That's what's going to make this challenge hopefully fun. You don't have to just swirl, you can do other things as well. As long as they fall into line with the rules and the main focus is the swirl or the thin layer or the mica lines you can do whatever you choose. If you have any questions ask on the thread or PM me and I would be happy to let you know whether or not your idea qualifies.

OM Gosh :shock::shock: I hope you are ok!

Well it is bad. Elbow still swollen starting to bruise. Cramping from bicep to forearm. Can barely use fingers. Still cant bend my arm, open anuthing like a jar. I'm going to go to an orthopedist and have them MRI it. I'm almost 100% certain I tore ligaments in my elbow pretty bad. When I first started soaping I did something similar to my wrist and ended up having to have surgery on it. I really do not want arm surgery. Not to mention I'm a lefty and it's my left arm, do you realize how mad that makes me LOL?

Today I am hosting one of my kids birthdays. Luck was on my side, because somehow I managed to put my makeup on perfectly with my right hand. It's the little things in life that make you smile haha.

Ouch!
Here's hoping you heal quickly and don't need surgery.
Primary arm out of service is not fun. It's amazing how much we miss the simple things we take for granted and learn to appreciate being able when it's temporarily taken from us.

Get well soon and complete healing!

Well it is bad. Elbow still swollen starting to bruise. Cramping from bicep to forearm. Can barely use fingers. Still cant bend my arm, open anuthing like a jar. I'm going to go to an orthopedist and have them MRI it. I'm almost 100% certain I tore ligaments in my elbow pretty bad. When I first started soaping I did something similar to my wrist and ended up having to have surgery on it. I really do not want arm surgery. Not to mention I'm a lefty and it's my left arm, do you realize how mad that makes me LOL?

Today I am hosting one of my kids birthdays. Luck was on my side, because somehow I managed to put my makeup on perfectly with my right hand. It's the little things in life that make you smile haha.

Oh my! Not anything like in the same league, but I can sympathize. My shoulders frequently give me trouble (developing arthritis, I think) and on the bad days I can't even lift my arms to shoulder height or carry anything that weighs more than a couple of pounds. Having my dominant hand completely out of commission would drive me right up the wall.

I do hope you heal up quickly and without complications (and especially without needing surgery!).

1. Kittish! Minimalism I can do!
2. MommyCarlson - I'm in!
3. Rusti - me three!
4. jewels621 - coming in off of a post-SoapCon higher! I'm in!
5. dibbles - Love it!
6. BattleGnome - I can tongue-in-cheek make a Christmas present for my minimalist sister
7. Mx6inpenn - I'm thinking Christmas too
8. CaraBou - Oh yeah, uh huh!
9. PenelopeJane - Minimalist is easy! Right??
10. BlackDog - this is probably a lot harder than it looks
11. SunRiseArts I agree with black dog. is a trick!
12. SoapTrey - I sincerely appreciate all the encouragement and because of that I'll give it a shot!
13. Earlene - LOL - Lucky 13
14. Ibct1969 - nervous for my first challenge especially against some SERIOUS talent!
15. SoapAddict - thanks!
16. TheDragonGirl- Its been a while, lets do this thing

You know I thought long about that while making the challenge. Yes it counts.

I made a soup for a challenge a while back that had pink and black as the accents and white as the main color. I use silver glitter on top. That would disqualify because that would be a fourth color.

You could use 2 colors and the third is the glitter, or use a glitter that matches one of your soaps colors. Just remember that if you use a light blue in your soap, do not use a dark blue glitter. Your top decorations, glitter, rose petals, whatever you use on top needs to match the colors as best as possible to the Soaps colors.
Also, no rainbow glitter, too many colors. If you are unsure you can send me a private message with the pictures attached. If you are unable to send pictures in a private message, I can't remember if you can or not, just let me know and you can shoot me an email instead.

Thank you. I was thinking more of the translucent glitter like this one, because I have a project in mind, and I already have the 2 colors picked.

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
6. BattleGnome - I can tongue-in-cheek make a Christmas present for my minimalist sister
12. SoapTrey - I sincerely appreciate all the encouragement and because of that I'll give it a shot!
14. Ibct1969 - nervous for my first challenge especially against some SERIOUS talent!
15. SoapAddict - thanks!
17. Soapprentice - Note to self “ do not go over board, it’s a simple and minimalist challenge”

Finger's crossed you have a quick recovery lionprincess00.

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
15. SoapAddict - thanks!
17. Soapprentice - Note to self “ do not go over board, it’s a simple and minimalist challenge”
18. SaltedFig - Why not?

Lesson #1: 25% is way too much

IMG_5574.JPG

Lesson #1: 25% is way too much

Well CaraBou it looks like it might be. I was really thinking that it would become much less at 25% then that. I guess I kind of put myself in a pickle on this challenge. Let me think about this for a second, and I might bold at the beginning of the challenge to look at your soap and see that 25% is going to be too much. I'd use so little, that I found I ran out of my accent color extremely fast. That's why I was trying to push the limit on letting you use a little bit more. Obviously it is probably too much. Sigh...sorry everyone. I might need to alter the amount allowed. Just give me a second guys. Again I'm sorry

I cut my first attempt yesterday. My drop swirl didn't drop enough. I'll hopefully have a second attempt this week and post a pic of it soon

PLEASE READ!
Per CaraBou's observation, 25% of your batter for the accent appears to be way too much. I think less than 20%, more along the lines of 10 to 15% at most for swirls is more accurate. For an ebru design, it is probably much much less like less than 1% ( if you look at the ebru examples you can see that it did not take much soap at all). For a single colored layer in the middle, 15% would work for something like a tall and skinny mold most likely. So I would like to go back and say no 30% and 25% accents. We need to keep it less than that. Please use your best judgement to keeping it minimal. I apologize for the confusion! Remember, if you are unsure contact me immediately so that I can see your soap and make sure it qualifies. Sorry again, and thank you!

I can not edit the original post unfortunately. If anyone new signs up, I will direct them to this post.

I think you are right. I just cut my first try, and I used 17-18% split between two colors for a minimal swirl, and that was still too much IMO. My batter was pretty fluid, though, which might have moved it around more than expected. I can post a picture if anyone wants to see, but don't have time today.

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
15. SoapAddict - thanks!
18. SaltedFig - Why not?
19. Artemis - it's time to stock up anyway, right? Right?

I think you are right. I just cut my first try, and I used 17-18% split between two colors for a minimal swirl, and that was still too much IMO. My batter was pretty fluid, though, which might have moved it around more than expected. I can post a picture if anyone wants to see, but don't have time today.
Picture! Picture! Picture !

No worries LP, that's why this is a challenge. A different pour, consistency, color combo etc could produce something simplistic. I was thinking the same thing you were - better have too much than too little, or I'd get caught short. I'm better calibrated now (I think!). And I shared my experience so others could weigh against their own intuition and experience. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Latest posts

Back