"oceanizing" a water scent ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like water scents, but most/all of them are almost too pretty. I would like to add something to them to make them smell more briney, salty, surfy - I'm not doing a very good job getting my point across here, but you know what I mean. I have kelp and spirulina on hand, but am afraid they will just be stinky/fishy :) Any ideas?

I know exactly what you mean, not_ally. I've used kelp before with my Salty Sailor FO. It actually lent a really nice, real-life, seaweedy/beachy hint to it...... for all of a few weeks anyway.... and then it totally disappeared. I was too chicken to use any more than 1/8 tsp. ppo, you see (I read of too many 'low-tide' experiences of others). lol One day, I'll try again, but with a little bit more than 1/8 tsp.

IrishLass :)

You certainly do not want to use much more kelp powder than IL mentioned above. I use kelp powder in my "Kelpie Soap" it takes a very light touch. Otherwise you risk the smell of stinky ocean muck. If you like salty type Salty Sea from soapsupplies.net is fantastic. I will bring a Salty Sea Soleseif with me on Sat if you are going to be there

Shoot, Carolyn, don't think I will be, although I would like to see you and C. Next time. I wish he would do it a little later, 9 am in LB on Sat am is a bit early for me :) I wanted to bring you my unused canola before it goes off too, rats.

I am kind of more interested in finding something that I can add, just so that I can play around and see how it works w/different water scents. I googled and am thinking of adding some oakmoss, one site said that the EU is banning the use of algae in scents for some reason and the mfrtrs are thinking of adding oakmoss, which (in combination w/other unspecified things, hopefully they are not crucial) is supposed to be similar. Also ordering some sniffie samples from SOS of some of their "oceany" smelling components to see if they work. Will update if they do!

Next time your purchasing from WSP add a bottle of Sea Glass to your cart :) You won't regret it lol. It's very "salty" and I absolutely love it!

Just checked, I have Salty Sea Air from ss.net, WSP Sea Glass and Daystar's Salty Sailor. Like all of them, but still too darn pretty. I really want to add a something that will make me thing of the beach - in a Puget Sound on a windy day kind of way, not a Coppertone kind of one. Not asking for *too* much, right :)?

I dont know if this is on the right track, but I've used this blend called "sea breezy" from Catherine Failors liquid soap book, and I recall it being quite fresh and nice, and not really "pretty"
2 parts Eucalyptus EO
2 parts lemongrass EO
1 part rosemary EO (there I go with the rosemary again :p)

Im sorry you cant make it this Sat! We will be sure to talk about you :D

I dont know if this is on the right track, but I've used this blend called "sea breezy" from Catherine Failors liquid soap book, and I recall it being quite fresh and nice, and not really "pretty"
2 parts Eucalyptus EO
2 parts lemongrass EO
1 part rosemary EO (there I go with the rosemary again :p)

Im sorry you cant make it this Sat! We will be sure to talk about you :D
I have used a very similar blend but just do not find it salty. Did you find it salty Seawolfe. Granted it has been quite a while since I have been out on the ocean. I just remember being at the islands with the wind blowing and it reminded me very much of Salty Air. On the boat in the harbor was a whole different story, you would want a lot of kelp then :crazy: but then we were slipped next to the side with the "snow capped rock wall"or I wish it was snow... :lol:

I don't find it salty, but fresh, like when your in no cal on the piney coast - say Carmel?
I find the salty mariner from Daystar too perfumy. But seriously, if you want true ocean I think you need kelp or bird poop in it :p

Funny story, we got a return shipment that got mis-delivered last week. Was some very long dead bat stars (they were alive when shipped out, but fed ex messed up) that stunk up our whole building through FOUR sealed plastic bags. It was truly horrific. The sea, she is wild and stinky...

PS bring extra colors, I probably won't like mine again :D

Yes, when I said oceany scents I was thinking the nice parts, not the bird poop and dead thing parts. Aline, or anyone who has used scents from the Perfumers Apprentice, would any of them - there are different chemical types - survive the lye? I have emailed to ask, but if anyone knows of the top of their head from experience, that would be even better .....

I think Salty Sea Air from Rustic Essentials is what you are looking for. It's very salty smelling and not floral or perfumey. I just bought a large bottle and can give you a sample if you are interested. It sticks great too.

Yes, when I said oceany scents I was thinking the nice parts, not the bird poop and dead thing parts. Aline, or anyone who has used scents from the Perfumers Apprentice, would any of them - there are different chemical types - survive the lye? I have emailed to ask, but if anyone knows of the top of their head from experience, that would be even better .....
They are simply aroma chemicals like those used to create fragrance oils so yes, they will certainly survive lye. I imagine the main issue will be cost (although you can be sure they are undiluted, which can't be said for some FO's I have purchased!)

J, I just added that to my wish list at AHRE - they are having a sale including $1 samples coming up, I am afraid I am going to miss it so keep checking every day!

Aline, I have to figure out how to use those things. I thought you could just use little dashes of them b/c they were so concentrated. Will have to do more research. Otherwise they are too expensive, you are right.

ArRe has an ocean breeze. It isn't as salty, but to me it smells very oceany and not quite as perfume like. It doesn't A either. They also have a sea salt yuzu that's very salty oob...Haven't soaped it yet because it is said to A. Also, it's yuzu, not ocean so it may not be what you're looking for.

Hey LP. Saw the ss yuzu, but avoided it b/c of the yuzu (don't like yuzu for some reason.) I did put the ocean breeze on my sample list, along w/the salty sea air and sea kelp.

What is it about water scents that ALWAYS makes them accelerate? The few that don't, don't actually smell like water at all to me.

B/t/w, I came across an old post of yours w/a recipe that you really liked at the time, I have it on my to-do list!

Back