"oceanizing" a water scent ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LP, did the sea kelp stick? That actually sounds kind of good to me. I must have juvenile tastes :)

I didn't save the link to your post, just a quote so that I could make the soap, I think it might have been on a thread on sugar. Is this still one of your favorites?

"I did a soap with bentonite clay, avocado puree, GM concentrate, and sugar at 1 TBS ppo.
It is. A. W. E. S. O. M. E. The best soap thus far for me."

LP, did the sea kelp stick? That actually sounds kind of good to me. I must have juvenile tastes :)

I didn't save the link to your post, just a quote so that I could make the soap, I think it might have been on a thread on sugar. Is this still one of your favorites?

"I did a soap with bentonite clay, avocado puree, GM concentrate, and sugar at 1 TBS ppo.
It is. A. W. E. S. O. M. E. The best soap thus far for me."

I wouldn't call the taste juvenile, I'd call mine finicky;-)

Ok, it isn't my best soap now. It was my 6th soap and I've made over 60 now:)
Now I know more, I'd make a few changes. It has potential to be awesome imo, though. I used too high a superfat and the lather is inhibited. I also had a ton of water so it needed a very long cure. I've thought of redoing it recently in fact.
If I did I'd do something similar to
20% coconut
7% castor
33% sweet almond or olive
25% tallow
15% lard

A 1:1 lye ratio. Either half the water amount in gm concentrate or gm powder to make full gm.
1tsp ppo bent clay in a little water.
2-4 oz avocado puree depending on the size of the batch
3-4% Superfat since avocado and gm will increase it.

Hmm. May have to really rethink it and retry it! I also now use sodium citrate which this batch didn't have and it makes a world of difference in my soaps now.

Last edited:
I can't believe you've *only* made 60. You are so thoughtful, and your soaps look so good, that I thought you had made much, much more.

So you like using more tallow than lard? I have been using large amts of lard, which I do love, and have been experimenting on and off w/tallow. I like the hardness it produces, but don't like the lather. And just the skin feel, somehow, as compared to lard. We are all so different!

I think I have been SFing too high w/the avocado/fat heavy milk soaps.

Why does the CA make a world of difference? Curious, I use EDTA for soap scum, but could add CA if it is for something other than scum/DOS.

You might try a touch of rosemary or eucalyptus EO to the fragrance oil. Most of my ocean blends contain bergamot also.

It is shown to increase lather. Either Deanna can find it faster, or give me a half hr and I'll link the additives test results from a swap posted yrs ago.

I used 40% tallow in my soaps, and while rendering got a mix of pork and cow. Those render blends made for so much nicer soaps imo than straight tallow. tallow also bumps the bubbly numbers slightly, a welcome when I use under 20% co in my soaps.

Thanks, LSG. I have a list of stuff going that might "oceanize" scents, Seawolfe suggested the rosemary and eucalyptus as well, so those look like definites. Bergamot, interesting, I would not have thought of that. Darn Aline, she got me corresponding w/the Perfumer's Apprentice owner and now I might have a new addiction, I am going to order some stuff from there as well, and see what happens.

Wow, I am really OCD.

Why does the CA make a world of difference? Curious, I use EDTA for soap scum, but could add CA if it is for something other than scum/DOS.

If you have a chelator in your soap, and have hard water, it helps lather for the same reason it cuts down on scum. It allows the soap to react with the water, and not the metals, so it can create lather.

Might add some CA just to see what if it does increase the lather. I do include sugar, SL and EDTA in all my soaps, all are supposed to boost lather a bit, so I am OK w/what I have. But it is like the too rich/too thin thing equivalent of soap goals ...

Latest posts

Back