Ocean Sunset

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Emerald_Chicken

Reaction score
20210428_183606.jpg

Here's my latest batch, scented with Blueberry Thyme from BB. It's based off this soap by Love Your Suds, so I can't claim the credit for dreaming up the design ;)

I typically overheat, so I was extremely excited to get a nice even gel without glycerin rivers! I wrapped the mold in towels, put it in a shoebox, and laid the heating pad on top of the towels. This seemed to get a more even gel than when I set the mold on the heating pad.

This was my first time using an embed made in a column embed mold. The scariest moment was placing the embed on the freshly poured bottom layer (which I had put in the freezer for just a little in an attempt to harden it). Thankfully my sun didn't sink much, although it was rather stressful.

If anyone has tips for lowering an embed into the mold and placing it precisely, I'd love to hear them!

So pretty...Landscape soaps just fascinate me!!! you did a beautiful job! Of all the YouTube videos I've watched...some let the bottom layer thicken up a bit before adding the embed and other layers...

That’s a beautiful soap. I love the colors and I also like that you captured the earlier stage of the setting sun.

An alternative approach for positioning the embed would be to pour all or most the first pink layer above the blue and then push the embed down until you feel the resistance of a firmed up bottom layer. If the batter in the second layer is firming up a bit when the embed is positioned, it helps to support the weight of the embed and keep it from shifting.

This is stunning work! Great job! Is your column really a fully round column? Or did you cut off the bottom of the circle? Great colors too, am curious what you used if you'd like to share.
When I do landscapes and embeds, I soap at thick trace.

Thanks @Zing! Yes, it was a full circle embed; I just sliced off part of it.

As far as colors...I mixed different ones together and didn't measure. If my memory serves me correctly, the blue is a combo of Carribbean Blue and Stormy Blue, the yellow is Buttercup, and the coral is a mixture of Sunset Orange, Rose Pearl, and Red (all micas from BB). Oh, and I added a little AC to the blue to darken it a bit. There's TD in the white swirl since my FO discolored to tan.

I wanted the ocean to be pretty fluid when I poured it, but it was almost too fluid to balance an embed. I think the freezer helped though.

View attachment 56690
Here's my latest batch, scented with Blueberry Thyme from BB. It's based off this soap by Love Your Suds, so I can't claim the credit for dreaming up the design ;)

I typically overheat, so I was extremely excited to get a nice even gel without glycerin rivers! I wrapped the mold in towels, put it in a shoebox, and laid the heating pad on top of the towels. This seemed to get a more even gel than when I set the mold on the heating pad.

This was my first time using an embed made in a column embed mold. The scariest moment was placing the embed on the freshly poured bottom layer (which I had put in the freezer for just a little in an attempt to harden it). Thankfully my sun didn't sink much, although it was rather stressful.

If anyone has tips for lowering an embed into the mold and placing it precisely, I'd love to hear them!
It's perfect 🥰 love it

Back