Observations and Questions

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Clarice, Mar 8, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 8, 2019 #1

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

Hi there - First - let me say that you developers rock! This is an AMAZING tool - and you have made it crazy flexible - I am really impressed!

I was playing around with SMF today and noticed a few things that may be my lack of expertise with the format.

1. adding a "new" additive - no "% of oils" option appears
      • I manually added sodium citrate
      • I have been told to use it at a rate of 2 - 3% of the weight of the oils
      • I could not find a percent option for a manually added material so, cuz I was lazy, I used the sodium lactate from the pre-poulated additives and added a note in the notes section
    2. Since so many folks use sodium citrate as a chelator, should it be part of the pre-populated options?
    3. moving between grams and ounces
      • I was using the option "resize to fit mold"
      • I had initially chosen grams, and the calculation yielded about 1450 grams (which appeared in the little box into which you put an amount if you want to work with percentages)
      • I decided to switch over to ounces, and for some reason, it maintained the gram total - yikes mega batch LOL
    4. using SMF for checking a recipe from a third party
      • I have been advised to always check a soap recipe with a calculator to be sure that there is not an inadvertent typo, etc.
      • I have found that many recipes don't give details that SMF "wants" - and most of the trouble seems to lie in the "lye" area
      • SMF would make it easier to double check a recipe if it offered the option of inputting the NaOH and water exactly as the recipe outlines (most often as xx units water, xx units NaOH)
      • As an "output" from the water / NaOH information as given in a recipe, perhaps a red/yellow/green system much like that used in the soap properties could be helpful. Something along the lines of: "Lye is 22%, the recommended range is xx to xx" or whatever.
      • Does that make sense?
    5. It seems that sometimes SMF gets "stuck" for example, today I was playing around with recipes and tried to get it to load a previously saved recipe (yes, I was signed in). Despite clicking on the "load recipe" and then on the name of the one I wanted, the form stayed blank. I ended up closing the tab and reopening SMF and then the load was successful.

Thanks again, as I have more experience with this great tool, I will provide more feedback. Please let me know if I have been unclear.

Clarice

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    SeattleMartin and SaltedFig like this.
  2. Mar 10, 2019 #2

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Wow- thank you so much for all of your suggestions and input. I use citric acid (and then more lye), and I never even noticed that sodium citrate isn't in there. Again, thank you. We are looking at these suggestions right now. I appreciate the time you you spent going through all of this!

Clarice likes this.
  3. Mar 10, 2019 #3

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

@Yooper - I am seriously blown away by how fabulous the SMF calc is - if you are one of the developers - give yourself (and your fellow programmers) serious high fives - it is so brilliantly flexible! I love it! Well Done!

4. Mar 10, 2019 #4

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

I'm afraid I can't take much credit at all- I had some ideas that I thought would make the world's best soap calculator. I used soapcalc a lot in the past, but it didn't do liquid soap well. I used Summerbee for liquid soap and hybrid soaps, but there was a lot of clutter there I didn't like. I wanted additives that would be in the calculator, I wanted a nicer interface, and I wanted it to be cloud-based (and free). I wanted it to have some of the features of SM3, but not the clunky way it looked.

The rest is all the developers!

Angie likes this.
  5. Mar 23, 2019 #5

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Could we make the suppliers editable?

Also, when you click a new purchase, there is a save button but not a cancel button. Can we add one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.