Oatmeal soap smells like ammonia.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapysoapgirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I made a rather large batch of soap yesterday. It is bigger than usual because my moulds (baking pans) are too big for my regular batch. So I went to my handy soap calculator and increased the fats based on what I had in the house. I melted my oils in the crock pot and used the lye and water that the calculator called for. Of course the crock pot was still warm so it went to trace fast. The batch was also very large and completely filled the croc pot. I got it almost to trace and then Poured half into a bowl and then finished mixing them to trace. I then put in my oatmeal, mixed it up and then added the cinnamon leaf and clove bud EO's. Normally I put in honey but forgot. I then poured it and covered it with cardboard. The whole kitchen smelled like cinnamon and clove. Was nice. When I checked it this morning it smells like ammonia.

Any ideas why? Will this change after curing. I have heard cinnamon stinks till curing is done, could this be the case?

Wait a day or two. Give it some time. Any soaps i made that had an ammonia smell (goat milk soap comes to mind) the ammonia smell went away after a day or two.

Making cp causes all sorts of reactions, especially in fragrance. I've had batches I hated at the beginning, but morphed into a beautiful scent later. Colors change too. Let it cure out and if you still don't like it, dont throw it away, just rebatch it and change your scent.

Back