Oatmeal in lotion or not?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinbago27

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to finalize if its OK to add a bit of colloidal oatmeal to lotion or not. I see the opinions go back and forth (even outside of this forum). I understand the preservation issue, but then I see discussions about what kind of oatmeal to add...

Is OK to add it in a well preserved formula?

I am trying to finalize if its OK to add a bit of colloidal oatmeal to lotion or not.
Colloidal oatmeal is in the ingredinents list of the ever popular Aveeno Lotion. It's been ages since I made an all natural dupe of that lotion. i can't remember the use rate. Maybe your supplier can help with that?

ETA: Here ya go,,, For DIY creams or lotions, Colloidal Oatmeal can be added to the water phase at a recommended rate of 0.05 - 2%.

https://www.newdirectionsaromatics....oatmeal-a-wonder-ingredient-for-the-skin.html

Last edited:
I use colloidal oatmeal in mine. My husbands best friend swears by it and I just made him about 20 ounces. Also made him a whole big loaf of oatmeal, milk and honey soap. He says it's the first time his skin hasn't literally hurt in years because of how dry it is.

I use colloidal oatmeal in mine, but it’s just for my family. I don’t remember the rate but it’s not much. I don’t know that I can tell the difference. I love soap made with oat milk, I make my own milk and then blitz the oats and add quite a lot to my soap. It creates a lovely creamy lather.

I stick to my convictions of keeping it simple if giving away or selling if you do not put out the money for challenge testing. Many times you cannot tell if a lotion has gone bad. Of course, if it molds it is a no-brainer. But this is simply my opinion and I do not try to for my opinion on anyone you have to make your own decisions. I just look at it this way, if a person has a problem who are they going to sue the little guy that is an easy target or a big box company that is a harder target with lots of money backing?

When I was selling lotions my lotions were challenge tested and I did not use a lot of additives that would be bug food. I stuck with vitamins in my lotions.

As for oatmeal and additives in soaps, it is a different scenario, with lye negating the issues but also with most benefits of additives.

Back