Oatmeal honey goats milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this recipe?

7% almond oil
5% castor oil
10% cocoa butter
23% coconut oil
25% olive oil 10%
shea butter
20% tallow beef

with goats milk, oatmeal and Honey

Soap it cool but not so cool your tallow and shea start to re-solidify and I would recommend putting it in the freezer. Also chill your mold as a precaution. Depending on your fo it can be a severe heater. It will also be a fast tracer with all the butters and tallow. Lard slows trace, tallow does not. Also in my opinion it is way to much coconut oil at least for us. I would up the tallow and lower the coconut oil or up the olive oil and tallow. But that is up to your preference in soap

I'd be afraid to up the tallow since shea and cocoa butter are also in the recipe. Upping the olive oil alone should be effective enough and still leave a cleansing level over 12.

How much oatmeal powder do I add?
And should I hydrate it first with a little water? Should I deduct it from my distilled water?
And is honey supposed to be subtracted? I know it's better to add little water to honey and warm it a little...So any water I use to add the extra stuff should come from the total?
Does oatmeal soap require extra water.

For all my additives, I like to pull out water from my recipe and use it to stir/hydrate everything. Just make sure that you have at least an equal amount of liquid to lye in your lye solution otherwise the lye will not fully dissolve. Then I stick blend the additive slurry into my oils before finally adding in my lye solution.

For colloidal oatmeal, I use about a tablespoon of oatmeal ppo.

For honey, I use about 1 tsp honey ppo. I don't bother with subtracting water for it since it's a small amount.

Great thanks! I sure will be glad when i find my rhythm. I end up spending so much time researching that by the time I'm finally ready...it's bedtime! I work full time so I only have so much time to soap. I spend so much time putting together a new recipe, my husband will come in 4 hours later and say how did it come out? And I haven't even started. Errr. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for feedback!

Great thanks! I sure will be glad when i find my rhythm. I end up spending so much time researching that by the time I'm finally ready...it's bedtime! I work full time so I only have so much time to soap. I spend so much time putting together a new recipe, my husband will come in 4 hours later and say how did it come out? And I haven't even started. Errr. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for feedback!
I'll often do that, doing your research and careful planning makes a better product and saves wasted soap materials. ☺

Well I made it last night. Course its still in the mold....but I think it went okay. I ended up tweaking the recipe some. This is what I ended up making:

7% almond oil
3% Beeswax
6% castor oil
10% cocoa butter
20% coconut oil
25% olive oil
11% shea butter
18% tallow beef

goats milk
colloidal oatmeal
bentonite clay
sugar
Honey
.5 oz Oatmeal Milk Honey
1 oz French Vanilla

I didnt originally plan on adding the beeswax. All I had was a 1 oz sample someone gave me, but I added it in. I didnt have much oatmeal honey F.O., so I figured my soap will be brown anyway, might as well use the vanilla. I was careful to add my sugar to the water before lye. I put the bowl with the goats milk cubes and sugar water in a bucket with ice water while I poured and stirred the lye. Worked out well.

I can already tell its going to be a hard bar of soap. Last night I put it in the freezer after I poured it. I was going to take it out after a couple hours and put it in the fridge for the rest of the night, but I fell asleep. Guess it'll be okay. I took it out before I went to work this morning. Well, will see how it turns out!

oh, it was the first time I used my cocoa butter. Hmmmmm! smells so good!

Back