Oatmeal baths?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitMommyOf2

Reaction score
I've been making milk baths for my kids with plain milk powder and corn starch plus added fragrance, but was wondering if I could add some ground oatmeal to the mix and call it officially (for sale) an oatmeal bath???

Please somebody help me out as I have some moms of young infants who mentioned their interested in me making them some oatmeal (lavender) baths, but before I agree, I want to make sure that what I would to is legit, if that makes sense?

Sure, that would work. Many people who make oatmeal baths sell them in heat & seal tea bags or other cloth bags to prevent the oatmeal from clumpng & having to clean a sticky tub afterwards. Yu can get the tea bags for pennies & they seal w/ a hot iron.

Thank you so much, Tab!!! That's a great hint on the tea bags!
I'll have to see where I can get those.. Would Wal Mart have such things?

Would you happen to know if there's a difference between an oatmeal bath like I described and an 'collidal' (sp?) oatmeal bath? :oops: The one mom mentioned that this is what she usually always buys but that it would be too expensive...

Colloidal oatmeal is used in many products to soothe skin irritation, but I find plain old oatmeal to be just as soothing and effective. I used it on both of my children in a tepid bath when they had chicken pox- for lack of anything better, I put it into a clean sock and tied it around the faucet, and it worked great.

Colloidal oatmeal (in a nut shell) just means super finely ground oatmeal.

Metal tea balls would work too.

You could put the mix into a nice big jar & attach a mesh tea ball with instructins to use just as you would loose tea.

you can make your own colloidal oatmeal by taking very small amounts of OLD FASHIONED (not instant or quick cooking) oatmeal and running it through your blender until it's a super uber fine powder.

I make an oatmeal milk bath with this and i don't put it into bags, it can go directly into the bath water. where it can do the most good.

but careful when getting out there is a little tiny bit of oatmeal on the bottom of the tub that can get slippery and needs to be rinsed out.

but colloidal oatmeal is what that expensive AVENO is.
so you can make it yourself so much cheaper........

and it works !!!!!!

I make an oatmeal bath too. I found these plain muslin bags. They come in different sizes and don't cost much. You can save $$$ by buying your oats out of the bulk bins (even Organic).

If I have a bath tub after the move I will certainly try this. You lose out on so much fun without a tub!

oatmeal baths

ok,.....other than chicken pox what else is oatmeal baths good for? Also, besides oatmeal what else do you put in these faithy?

dry milk and oatmeal are great for the skin just to use everyday.

But it's also great for dry itchy winter skin.

oh and it's also good for the following

* Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac
* Dry skin
* Insect bites
* Eczema
* Psoriasis
* Diaper rash
* Anal itching (often from pin worms or hemorrhoids)
* Windburn
* Sunburn
* Prickly Heat
* Hives
* Chicken Pox
* Shingles
* Acne
* And other minor skin irritations

Latest posts

Back