Oat milk in soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can filter your oat milk using a kitchen towel, a piece of an old t-shirt, a clean scrap of fabric, or possibly a coffee filter (would be very slow, I think). If you use a kitchen towel, for example, use it to line a sieve or colander, pour the oat milk in, then draw in the edges of the towel and squeeze the milk out.

I though milks had to be frozen before using and mixing with the lye?? Am I missing something here? I'm very much a newbie.

414g water and 144g lye.
So how about you try using 7ounces water and 7 ounces oat milk, and add your lye to that? It will still go gluggy, but just force it through a sieve into your oils. Or try what @penelopejane suggested and use 5 ounces lye with 5 ounces water ( water will not take any more lye than its own weight). Add the remaining 'water' ( which in your case will be oat milk) to the oils - this will be 9 ounces in your case. Then add the lye solution and mix as usual.
In fact - I might do this myself next time too - thanks PJ :)

You can filter your oat milk using a kitchen towel, a piece of an old t-shirt, a clean scrap of fabric, or possibly a coffee filter (would be very slow, I think). If you use a kitchen towel, for example, use it to line a sieve or colander, pour the oat milk in, then draw in the edges of the towel and squeeze the milk out.
and then - save all the little grainy bits of oatmeal from inside the cloth and make porridge! It's so much yummier than normal porridge - reminds me of when I was a kid.

Back