Oat flour and betonite clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
Hi all! Oat flour is a favorite additive of mine and I also have a big tub of Aztec Magic Clay Mask that isn't getting used, so thought I would throw some in a batch. I use 1 TBS PPO of oat flour but how much clay, and would both be too much dry ingredients? My thought is that it will be fine but wanted to check and to see how my clay. TIA! :)

I'd make a small batch to see what you think of it. Maybe use a lower lye concentration (30% maybe) so there is more liquid in case the clay soaks up a lot of it.

I'd make a small batch to see what you think of it. Maybe use a lower lye concentration (30% maybe) so there is more liquid in case the clay soaks up a lot of it.
Thanks very much. I found some info stating to use 1 tsp. PPO of clay and will try a lower lye concentration.

Make sure you hydrate the clay before adding it. Bentonite soaks up a lot of water, you'll want a smooth yogurt consistency.
I'd add it to the oils before the lye and blend it really well.
Thanks, will do

Make sure you hydrate the clay before adding it. Bentonite soaks up a lot of water, you'll want a smooth yogurt consistency.
I'd add it to the oils before the lye and blend it really well.

I don't think that can be said enough. clay can be a bit nasty if you use too little water.

And then there's this....

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/lots-lots-clay-soap/
She's adding up to 10 Tbsp of clay to 500 gm of oil. I've made this recipe and I love it!
Clays dry my skin after a while. I can't imagine using that much clay.

I don't think that can be said enough. clay can be a bit nasty if you use too little water.

Clays dry my skin after a while. I can't imagine using that much clay.
I am going for the minimum for this for sure, and wanted to use up the big tub of clay I have, any ideas on using it in others ways than my face? I have combo/mature skin, kaolin would perhaps be better for a mask? I plan on using this soap on my body, which is not definitely not on the dry side. I am using the only oils I have on hand, olive, coconut and castor, which will be a very high olive. Thanks!

I am going for the minimum for this for sure, and wanted to use up the big tub of clay I have, any ideas on using it in others ways than my face? I have combo/mature skin, kaolin would perhaps be better for a mask? I plan on using this soap on my body, which is not definitely not on the dry side. I am using the only oils I have on hand, olive, coconut and castor, which will be a very high olive. Thanks!
If you have bentonite clay and your body can handle it, just start with 1/2-1tbsp of bentonite clay per pound of soap. I know bentonite clay in soap is great for acne but my skin personally can't handle clays in soap these days. Oh, and for the record, I can't classify my skin as mature. I can't use too much for skin of that type and I'm still under 40.

Treat yourself to an all-over clay mask.
After first washing with Morrocan Black Beldi soap and rinsing, lately I've been mixing Bentonite clay with water to a medium thick consistency and using it all over my body. I sit for a couple of minutes to let it work its magic before rinsing off. Skin feels so clean and smooth.

Here's a video. Forward to about 3:55 (Step 4)

I also use Bentonite Clay in

DETOX BATH SALTS

I have a big tub of the aztec clay too and can't do anything with it. My skin hates clay and bentonite is the absolute worse.

Treat yourself to an all-over clay mask.
After first washing with Morrocan Black Beldi soap and rinsing, lately I've been mixing Bentonite clay with water to a medium thick consistency and using it all over my body. I sit for a couple of minutes to let it work its magic before rinsing off. Skin feels so clean and smooth.

Here's a video. Forward to about 3:55 (Step 4)

I also use Bentonite Clay in

DETOX BATH SALTS
Ohhhhh, this sounds quite promising! I have the dreaded Bacne, perhaps this will help! Thank you!

Back