Oakmoss to Offset the Odor of Lard/Tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TIP: Oakmoss Absolute is pricey, and tricky to work with so I dilute it in jojoba oil (long shelf life) to make it user-friendly and easy to measure.

METHOD
First warm the absolute by setting the bottle in a glass of hot water until it swirls easily. I warm the jojoba in the microwave in a 2-cup Pyrex to about 100°F (38°C). To create a 10% dilution, I add 1 oz. Oakmoss to 9 oz. jojoba and gently stir for one full minute to get it completely incorporated.

Allow to cool before pouring into an dark colored glass bottle. I store it with the rest of my supplies in a box on a shelf in my soaping cabinet.

Use 0.7% (1/4 - 1/2 tsp. PPO)

Oakmoss is a wonderful blender and fixative to anchor EO blends. I haven't checked in a while, but you may find it in the 10% diluted form. Not sure. You can also try an FO if you find it. I've never used FO, so I can't say if that will work or not.
Thanks for this post, Zany!

Thanks for this post, Zany!
You're welcome, Jorah! I hope it helps. :)

Using the Method mentioned in Post #1, I first make 10 oz (1 + 9) and store it in a repurposed 16 oz. Amber Boston Round Bottle to keep with my soaping box in the cupboard until needed. I add a label that says:

90% Jojoba
10% Oakmoss Absolute
Use: 0.7%
(1/4 - 1/2 tsp. PPO)

Date & Supplier: 9/12/20 Sun Pure Botanicals

As the contents recede over time, I transfer to an 8 oz, 4 oz. and 2 oz. size to retain integrity. By now, I'm guessing you have plenty of glass bottles to accomplish that. 😁

FYI: I tipped my bottle on its side to check the bottom and there was no sediment or separation. ;):thumbs:

By now, I'm guess you have plenty of glass bottles to accomplish that. 😁

FYI: I tipped my bottle on its side to check the bottom and there was no sediment or separation. ;):thumbs:
Hah, yes! I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday this month, and she asked for an intro perfumery set from The Perfumer's Apprentice and a set of 1- and 2-ounce Boston bottles! We now have enough Boston bottles to hold a gallon of fluid in small amounts!

Latest posts

Back