O.M.G. The stink!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catastrophe

Reaction score
Made a pine tar last night, totally screwed up the recipe, so I hope it hardens up ok. After re-reading tons of tips, I changed the recipe I was planning to include beeswax and more hard oils, printed it, and after it was in the mold realized I hadn't used beeswax....ugh, I'd printed the wrong recipe LOL.

Anyway, I was able to unmold without issue this morning, about 9 hours after I made it (individual molds, used SL) so I'm hoping it's ok. But the smell may kill us all before I can see if it helps my kids' acne lololol

I used a good amount of tea tree oil along with a few drops of other EOs recommended for acne, so the combined smell of the tea tree and the pine tar....DH thinks I've lost my mind.

Pine tar is nasty but the scent will fade as it cures. I've found lilac fo goes pretty well with pine tar, doesn't cover it but tones down the burnt rubber smell.

It does fade a bit with time. We never fail to have a bar of PT soap in the shower, and neither of us minds the smell at all. Plus, if it really helps your kid's complexion, he/she won't mind it either!

I've been using peppermint(I know, it sounds weird) in mine and that blended with the faded pine tar scent(give it a month or two) actually makes for a nice scent.

I'm happy to say that the smell has calmed down a lot (I have to actually pick up the bars to smell them now LOL) and they are quite hard now. C'mon cure time, I'm eager to see how they work!

Having used both neem and tamanu for the first time last night. I used both in a salve...I'd rather the pine tar in soap lol. At least it fades eventually. I haven't tried those oils in soap to do a direct comparison, though.

How does pine tar compare to neem oil in the repulsion category? Just wondering if it gets any worse.

I think neem is worse, it has more of a rotten onion scent. It fades a lot though, after 4 months my 25% neem bars smelled like black tea.

Back