Nutrioli Pure Soybean Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapM0m

Reaction score
I just found this "Nutrioli Pure Soybean Oil" at Walmart, but it's ingredients says: "Soybean Oil, Tbhq (Antioxidant)". I'm guessing Tbhq is probably something we want to stay away from?? When I googled it, it said it was used as a preservative. Anyone else know anything about tbhq, or has anyone used this brand of soybean oil in their soap?
Thanks in advance,
SoapM0m

My guess is that most soybean oils sold off the shelf will contain some kind of antioxidant.

Here is an article that I found about it.
Thank you AliOop. So this definitely infers that it is something to stay away from. However, this is article is about ingestion, not about topical. When I look up the chemical on the ewg.org website (which is what I refer to often to test the "cleanness" of various chemicals/beauty products), it gives it a 1-2, which is really good. I definitely don't like adding anymore chemicals/unnatural additives to my soaps than necessary. But it does seem that if I needed some soybean oil in a pinch, this may be okay?? Anyone else have any different thoughts? I'm all ears. :)

I also like to look things up on EWG, so thank you for investigating further into that. It's hard to say how the ingredient will react to the lye, and whether the small amount used in s small amount of soybean oil will make any difference. Hopefully you will get some more answers from others more knowledgeable than I am.

Latest posts

Back