Nut Milk for Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audreegrl74

Reaction score
Hello all and good day! I have a question that I haven't seen addressed, although, maybe it is and I'm skipping it? Has anyone ever used any type of non-dairy milk in soaps, i.e. almond milk, rice milk, oat milk etc..?

Yes, lots of people have. Just replace the water.

Be advised that when a recipe uses coconut milk, it usually means the thick, creamy stuff in a can vs the beverage.

I would suggest choosing one with no added sugar or flavor, just to be on the safe side. Sometimes extra sugar makes soap act up.

Yes, lots of people have. Just replace the water.

Be advised that when a recipe uses coconut milk, it usually means the thick, creamy stuff in a can vs the beverage.

I would suggest choosing one with no added sugar or flavor, just to be on the safe side. Sometimes extra sugar makes soap act up.
Ok, awesome! I make my own milks so I just wanted to know if that was something in could incorporate into my soaps...

When I use coconut milk I have to adjust the lye because of the coconut oil in the milk. Just something you might want to consider if there's fat in the nut milks. I haven't used or purchased nut milk so I don't know exactly what's in it!

When I use coconut milk I have to adjust the lye because of the coconut oil in the milk. Just something you might want to consider if there's fat in the nut milks. I haven't used or purchased nut milk so I don't know exactly what's in it!
I was wondering if I would have to adjust depending on the milks I make and use Hemp milk seems to be very thick and creamy when homemade ... Almost the consistency of cream...

I was wondering if I would have to adjust depending on the milks I make and use Hemp milk seems to be very thick and creamy when homemade ... Almost the consistency of cream...

The label info will give you the amount of fat per serving, then you have to calculate from there. I don't have the math from my notes in front of me but I know when I use a certain brand of coconut milk it increases my SF by 2% so I decrease the SF in Soap Calc by 2% to compensate.

TBH I don't worry. I superfat at 5%, so anything between 5% and 10% is acceptable to me. Is hemp milk creamy b/c of fat, or b/c of soluble fiber?

If you like to be very precise (I don't, but some do), you can leave the can of coconut milk out at room temperature, to let the fat separate. It will float to the top. Stick the can (opened or unopened), in the freezer for a few hours. This will harden the fat up. Open the can and lift out the coconut fat cake on top. That fat cake is mostly fat. the watery stuff left in the can is mostly water. So you can weigh the fat cake and calculate it with your oils.

Me, I just replace the value of the water with the value of the can of coconut milk.

Latest posts

Back