Nut Allergies???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0523

Reaction score
Does anyone here know if people who have peanut allergies, should avoid using products made with Butters - shea, mango, etc...

I got this question from a friend, and I have no answer for her. She wants to try my soap, but isn't sure if shea butter (which comes from a nut) would cause an alleric reaction.

Neverming - I found a satisfactory answer online. Should have done my reasearch before asking here - sorry.

here's what I dug out:

Dr. Watson: Interestingly, the shea fruit is similar in appearance to avocado. The shea tree grows in the Sahel region of West Africa. As an aside, the harvesting and processing of shea is primarily an activity of rural women (300,000 to 400,000 in Burkina Faso alone). The fruity part of the nut, when crushed, yields a vegetable oil that is used, not only in cooking, but also in soap-making and skincare and hair-care products. This is what you have seen in products.

With regard to your question as to whether or not this is a true nut, the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program reports the shea nuts are a tree nut, but that they do not belong in the list of commonly allergenic tree nuts. There are no reports of allergic reactions to shea nuts or its products. For soaps and cosmetics, it is the oil from the shea nut that is used. The oil contains little protein, which is what triggers the allergic reaction. As with everything, if you are worried or doubtful, avoid the product. I am sure there will be further information with regard to this product in the future.

And here is the info from the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) which is based in the US:

We suggest you ask your allergist for advice about this. The shea nut is a tree nut that has not been widely used in foods in the past, but shea butter and shea oil are being used increasingly in lotions, bath products, shampoos, and cosmetics. Although no reactions to shea nut have been documented in the medical literature some doctors advise patients with tree nut allergy to use caution and avoid products that contain ingredients derived from the shea nut.

I would advise her to do a patch test with one of your soaps. The upper part of the inner arm is the most sensitive. Tell her to lather and rinse, wait a few days to see if a reaction will arise. With that being said, some people that have an allergic reaction to nuts (me being one of them) it depends on the amount used in the product. I use shea butter AND coconut oil in ALL Of my soaps and I use them without a problem.

Hope this helps :)

"I have one report of a person with latex allergy reacting to the natural latex in shea butter, but of other latex-sensitive people not reacting to shea butter."

http://www.rastagearshop.com/rasta_shea_butter.lasso

"Please remember that rare individuals with both a Type B Latex allergy and a Nut allergy can react to shea butter. We like to label our stuff Shea Nut Butter so people understand that this does come from a nut."

http://www.vermontsoap.com/sheabutter.shtml

no blanket answer for this one, a patch test is in order. everyone is different.

my granddaughter is allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts, soybeans, eggs and all melons.

she can't use anything that contains shea butter, she breaks out in a rash. so yes it can be possible. i know because she has dry skin and i made her a straight up whipped shea butter. she looked like a walking advertisment for a measle vaccine.

barb

I post this on ALL of my shea products:
"Shea butter is not recommended for people with nut or latex allergies."

I may lose a sell, but I also may avoid a law suit...

Great idea Lane! I use both Shea and Kpangnan Butters in my creamed body butters. I will start adding that disclaimer to my labels. :wink:

Paul

I don't sell yet. But for give aways I did up labels as if I did. They
include these warnings:

This Product Contains Essential Oils. If You Are Pregnant Or Under The Care Of A Physician. Please Consult Your Doctor Before Use. Ingredients Or Processing Equipment May Have Come In Contact With Peanut Or Tree Nut Oils.

Avoid Eye Contact. If Irritation Occurs Discontinue Use Immediately. Babies & Young Children May Be Sensitive To Essential Oils. Therefore I Do Not Recommend This Soap For Their Use.

Latest posts

Back