Numerous additives (sprinkles, colored sugar, etc)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleine Teufel

Reaction score
So, was at the store buying soaping stuff and was drawn in by the alure of gorgeous colors. I ended up buying colored sugars, those pareils things (little colored balls), and those weird cupcake topping things that come in various shapes. I also grabbed some dill and orange peel. Probably have some other junk too, but can't think of it all off the top of my head. I was pretty skeptical over most of it working, but for $2, I figured WTH, all in the name of experimenting. I tried out the colored sugar, pareils, sprinkles (with a metallic coating and the little shapes already, but haven't tried the dill or orange peel. I've even used the soap to test the texture.

All soaps were made in very tiny bars (1/2oz) and I just layered the bottom of the mold with the additives, then drizzled the soap on top at light trace.

Pareils - Color stays intact during soaping, however, during washing, they bled and left little white balls in the soap. Not much scrubbing action to these either, but not too bad, maybe better for sensitive folk.

Colored sugar - Colors stayed intact during soaping. There was some color to the suds, but the color stayed intact in the soap after washing. The sugar was large grain, but wasn't too scratchy. I imagine if mixed into the batter it might be, because the crystals would be in different directions and not just flat.

Sprinkles - Colors stayed intact throughout soaping and washing. No bleeding into the suds. Wasn't much for scrubbing, maybe a tad bit more than the pareils.

Colored Shape thingers - I used dolphin shapes, and they were somewhat scratchy. Not a nice easy scratchy. I have other shapes that are even sharper, and I'm interested to see if they slice me up or what they do. The colors did stay intact throughout soaping and washing. They look beautiful! Darn shame that they are so rough, especially considering I have probably $20 worth of various shapes (red, white and blue stars, easter bunnies and chicks, ducks and blue circles, alphabets, dolphins, fish and I think easter eggs). Worst part is that I can't even stand these on cupcakes! I'll find SOMETHING to do with these things, besides to color my kids' poop the next day.

Anyways, that's my very informal, unprofessional input on a few additives that others may have taken a second look at in the stores. :)

Are pareils those little pearl-ish sugar balls? They would be gorgeous in soap, but that stinks about them turning white. I would love to find some that look similar but are made for soap.

I think we're thinking of the same things...
[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=0&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=pareils&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1192&bih=480&bs=1&wrapid=tljp1330744430534030&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=e4xRT6aiJYjk0QHD2ajMDQ"]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_n ... 0QHD2ajMDQ[/ame]

They're used on cupcakes and on nonpariels ;)

I really like the picture of the butt covered in those sugar pearls... Maybe, just maybe, I've found my use for my shaped thingers. Ok, maybe not.

I've seen those metallic ones, and I've been wondering about them. They're hard as sin though. Feels like you're breaking your teeth when you bite one. I should probably just go buy some and see how they turn out in the soap. If worst comes to worse, I can always glue them to my butt to get myself noticed on google images.

bettacreek said:
All soaps were made in very tiny bars (1/2oz) and I just layered the bottom of the mold with the additives, then drizzled the soap on top at light trace.

I tried using the uncolored sugar ones to add a sparkly accent to soap I made in poinsettia molds. They were pretty at first but then over time the sugar dissolved. I ended up with pits in the top of the soaps. :(

bettacreek said:
I'll find SOMETHING to do with these things, besides to color my kids' poop the next day.

Did I mention we love pics? :lol:

Just kidding...no...no...please don't post them. Really.

Thanks for sharing the info but you really don't need to share certain pictures.

bettacreek said:
I really like the picture of the butt covered in those sugar pearls... Maybe, just maybe, I've found my use for my shaped thingers. Ok, maybe not.

I've seen those metallic ones, and I've been wondering about them. They're hard as sin though. Feels like you're breaking your teeth when you bite one. I should probably just go buy some and see how they turn out in the soap. If worst comes to worse, I can always glue them to my butt to get myself noticed on google images.

What is the metal in the silver ones? I wonder if they would react with lye?

Not entirely sure, but considering that they're a food item, it can't be Aluminum. Too many lawsuits I'd imagine. The metallic sprinkles are just a glaze and they look pretty convincingly metallic to me.

Hazel, would you like some pictures of the ABC's? Lol. You might have been able to spell out the phrase "stank arse" if you looked close enough.

bettacreek said:
Hazel, would you like some pictures of the ABC's? Lol. You might have been able to spell out the phrase "stank arse" if you looked close enough.

That's sweet of you to offer but I think I'll pass (no pun intended). After experiencing the fun of doggie poop patrol the time Max ate some foil wrapped Christmas candy, I have a slight idea of how interesting it is but I think this pic would be better enjoyed by grandparents. You know how it is - everything the grandkids do is sooo cute. :D

I use them all the time, but only on the top of cupcakes. I made my Easter version last week. I found some egg-shaped sugar sprinkles last year and finally got to use them.

Here's a pic. Sorry if it's big. I still can't get the hang of making them smaller. Many have tried to teach me. Too blonde, I guess!

Oh, my gosh. Guess I finally figured out how to post something less than an 8X10 glossy!!

Those egg shaped sugar jiggers on some of them are actually exactly what my shapes are. :D I don't know exactly what they're called! Anyways, they're kind of scratchy when you use them. :/

I find that using sugar sprinkles and bits melt on my soap and turn brown, some of them. Maybe, I'm doing something wrong. This includes edible glitter, where sometimes I get lucky and nothing happens and other times it melts leaving brown spots. What's the secret?

BTW, those Easter cupcakes look fantastic.

kellistarr said:
I find that using sugar sprinkles and bits melt on my soap and turn brown, some of them. Maybe, I'm doing something wrong. This includes edible glitter, where sometimes I get lucky and nothing happens and other times it melts leaving brown spots. What's the secret?

BTW, those Easter cupcakes look fantastic.

Thanks, kellistarr!!

The trick for me is using Nizzy's whipped soap recipe for the icing. All the ingredients are cold (refrigerated overnight). I've never had anything turn brown, at least as far as sugar sprinkles. Never tried any herbs on it. I would think the chemical reaction would still turn those brown.

I know that sugar can turn brown (caramelize) with heat. Hazel mentioned it dissolves after awhile, and I think I've heard of that before as well.
As for whipped soap, can you just use straight up coconut oil soap? I've made whipped soap before by accident with pure coconut oil, but it was a 0% superfat for laundry. Wonder if it'd work with a 20% superfat?

Back