Number 3 in soap calc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I am going to lower my SF to 3 for the first time. One section in soapcalc that I do not understand is 3, the water and lye section.
I’ve lowered my water many times but have never used the other two options. Are the just different ways of saying the same things?

Could someone please point me to an article or thread that explains this? I’ve searched here and online.
Thank you

If you are using the default lye/water setting, which is "water as percent of oils," please be aware that was created for hot process soap, which needs a lot more water due to evaporation during the cook.

You will get more consistent results if you select "Lye Concentration." A typical CP setting is around 33%. Some of us use less water to reduce ash, speed up unmolding, etc. I personally like 40% which is a fairly steep water reduction, but that works for me in most cases.

Here is a good article that talks about this more in depth. :)

If you are using the default lye/water setting, which is "water as percent of oils," please be aware that was created for hot process soap, which needs a lot more water due to evaporation during the cook.

You will get more consistent results if you select "Lye Concentration." A typical CP setting is around 33%. Some of us use less water to reduce ash, speed up unmolding, etc. I personally like 40% which is a fairly steep water reduction, but that works for me in most cases.

Here is a good article that talks about this more in depth. :)
Thank you! That article is a game changer for me and I’m only part way through it. I’ll definitely have to read and reread again.

Latest posts

Back