NPR: FDA bans 19 chemicals in antibacterial soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just coming to post about this. Thx Lenarenee. We already knew. But now the general population will know.

I didn't even know you could buy soap with Iodine in it. Granted, we used (and still use ) Povidine in hospitals and it's still available OTC at drug stores, but I guess I never noticed it on an ingredient list on soap. Of course I personally was against the use of anti-bacterial soaps so I suppose I never looked at their ingredient list.

"The ban applies only to consumer products, not to antibacterial soaps used in hospitals and food service settings."

They somehow think that it magically works when used in hospital and food service settings. That's a shame.

Finally, I hope Canada is going to follow. When two years ago (I was still in old firm working) I asked to order regular soap not the antibacterial, they start to laugh at me ; obviously I am an idiot ..................They see this now and some come to buy the soap from me:))) Now who is the idiot?

I agree with this, but in reading the .pdf, seeing Tea Tree Oil as listed as something that is not currently being evaluated (but could be in the future) ... I'm not sure about that one exactly.

Finally, I hope Canada is going to follow. When two years ago (I was still in old firm working) I asked to order regular soap not the antibacterial, they start to laugh at me ; obviously I am an idiot ..................They see this now and some come to buy the soap from me:))) Now who is the idiot?

I have never liked anti-bacterial products. They always had a chemical smell to them when they first came out with them. They've improved the fragrances, but I have a septic system. I need those bacteria! I don't use bleach or other harsh chemicals, either.

I always thought it was very odd to use anti-bacterial soap because you were just washing the product (and any benefits) down the drain. As soon as you touched something after washing your hands, you've been "contaminated" again. Just like with plain old fashioned soap. Especially if you're out in public.

We all know that plain soap is enough to kill and wash off bacteria, there is not need to kill everything on our skin. Heck it is the biggest organ in the body, I hate antibacterial products and I and feel and smell poison in it. :)

Antibacterial soaps are the very reason I make soap now. I used them so much, I became allergic to them. Even when working in the hospital, I use the Provodone-Iodone soap rather than the stuff in the dispensers to avoid the Triclosan and Triclocarban.

Latest posts

Back