Now I understand the need for planers....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
My second attempt for the September challenge was a flop, or so I thought, because the colors were all weird and I poured the DFO portion in the wrong order etc...

So I'm checking soaps and decided to cut the ugly weird swirl gone wrong part off the bar so I can confetti it for a rebatch. Well.... I separate the two halves and discover that the colors actually came out quite nice but ya couldn't see em under the weirdness of the surface. I will probably still confetti them once they've dried out more, but I had to share my chagrin with you all and declare I am a planer convert now LOL

Before separating this is what the ashy funky top looked like
uploadfromtaptalk1443188124928.jpg

After separating this is what the colors look like
uploadfromtaptalk1443188171636.jpg

So my next financial save up will have to be a planer cuz no matter how thin I tried to cut to remove the weirdness from the bars, it took off too much... sigh

What a wonderful (lovely) surprise! It's amazing at times what beauty lies hidden beneath.

I love my planer and would hate to ever be without it. It has helped my soap to 'save face' several times. lol

IrishLass :)

Very pretty! I love my planer too, and the smooth surface it gives.

I'm a new convert to planers, too. After cutting both of my first trials at fancy swirls/pours and having them smear when I cut them, I've come to the conclusion I need a planer and a wire cheese cutter. Planer is on the way. Still gotta find a cheese cutter. I could never understand the "big deal" about making pretty soaps. Do now, though!

I love planing too, it really does save an ashy soap. I don't love my planer so much, I am going to ask for Irish Lasses recommendations for planers and bevelers for Christmas presents :)

That's one of the best (but overlooked) ways to gain soap supplies. Ten years ago my sis asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I told her off-hand that I had my heart set on a particular soap mold (I was brand new to soaping at that time and was saving up for it), not even thinking she'd actually buy it for me, but she actually did! She could have knocked me over with a feather! The mold was/is my (now) well-used and well-loved wooden log/slab mold combo made by one of our since long-lost forum members.

That's one of the best (but overlooked) ways to gain soap supplies. Ten years ago my sis asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I told her off-hand that I had my heart set on a particular soap mold (I was brand new to soaping at that time and was saving up for it), not even thinking she'd actually buy it for me, but she actually did! She could have knocked me over with a feather! The mold was/is my (now) well-used and well-loved wooden log/slab mold combo made by one of our since long-lost forum members.

Not to be ungrateful, but I am tired of getting ill-fitting clothes for presents! I have resolved to be shameless about asking for the soaping supplies that I want but seem luxurious from the people who are close enough.

I am weird, but the only presents I have really loved were things like the condensed multi-volume version of the OED when it came out years ago (amazingly thoughtful gift from an old boyfriend), and the first gen Kindle, from my sister.

Looking at the above makes it clear that it is best to just tell people what I would love as a gift rather than let them guess, bless their hearts. I am surprised I have not gotten any lumps of coal. This is why I always give the younger members of the family money :)

Last edited:
If I had local family, I would do exactly that and put soapy tools on my wish list. Unfortunately my family is long distance and they focus spending their limited funds on the kids, as it should be. So I'll just save up and keep making my funky bars until I can afford to buy a planer :)

If you are only removing ash, you can wash the loaf top under hot water before unmolding if it is a water friendly mold (not wood). Or after unmolding and before cutting. The ash wipes right off without damaging the soap underneath. I just use my gloved hand to rub gently.

If you are only removing ash, you can wash the loaf top under hot water before unmolding if it is a water friendly mold (not wood). Or after unmolding and before cutting. The ash wipes right off without damaging the soap underneath. I just use my gloved hand to rub gently.

Susie , TY :) I've tried something like that to a previous batch and it was as so so on results. With this batch in question though, this was uneven and thick ash, and was simpler to plane it off if I'd had a planer. Plus I like the clean slick polished look I see on the planed soaps, and beveled edges too.

Oh how quickly our soaping aesthetic changes. Just 3 months ago I was tickled to have made soap and didn't give a hoot that it looked like a hot dog bun, had ridges from the bottom of the container impressed into it, or that it had wonky edges. Now I'm all "oh but these are not pretty enough, they are too rough looking, they need refinement" (said with my nose in the air and a snooty style sniff) LMAO

Now see, y'all are gonna make me have to take that planer out of the box and give it a go again. Last time I used it I got frustrated because I couldn't get shavings as thin as I wanted. I've since read that this is a learned skill. Yet, I was so intimidated by the thing I just put it in the box and tried to forget that I had even bought it.

I can't for the life of me remember what the wooden planers were going for when I got mine. I do know that the one I ordered from an Etsy seller in Hong Kong was pretty cheap (in price) at $20 .. $9 and change plus $11 shipping. It arrived in about two weeks and is actually pretty well constructed. I liked the fact that it has two different sized grooves for beveling your edges.

Taking a quick look on Etsy, it's still at the same price.
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1050719633

Now see, y'all are gonna make me have to take that planer out of the box and give it a go again. Last time I used it I got frustrated because I couldn't get shavings as thin as I wanted. I've since read that this is a learned skill. Yet, I was so intimidated by the thing I just put it in the box and tried to forget that I had even bought it.

I can't for the life of me remember what the wooden planers were going for when I got mine. I do know that the one I ordered from an Etsy seller in Hong Kong was pretty cheap (in price) at $20 .. $9 and change plus $11 shipping. It arrived in about two weeks and is actually pretty well constructed. I liked the fact that it has two different sized grooves for beveling your edges.

Taking a quick look on Etsy, it's still at the same price.
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1050719633

Commoncenz- it is now officially your fault that all my hat money is gone. There will be no trip to hobby lobby thanks to you because I just ordered that planer LOL. I have not seen not one planer anywhere online for less than 35-40 bucks, and that's without shipping. To pay $20 including shipping is insanely cheap and something I could afford right now thanks to my hat money. It has a ton of very good reviews, for shipping, quality, and usage, and I love that I can adjust the blade depth easily. TY for sharing that link :)

Now lionprincess00 can feel better for her funnel pitchers buy that I enabled LOL.

Gigi - If it makes you feel any better, after looking up the link I decided to take another look around their shop. I've seen some things that I'd love to have ... which means, that I will have to find a way to shift some of my entertainment, etc. money over to the soaping part of my budget. No movies for me this month. lol

Gigi - If it makes you feel any better, after looking up the link I decided to take another look around their shop. I've seen some things that I'd love to have ... which means, that I will have to find a way to shift some of my entertainment, etc. money over to the soaping part of my budget. No movies for me this month. lol

LOL I'm currently favoriting a bunch now too hahaha

Back