NOW I dont want to offend , but the Aussies will understand

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relle9 said:
Its not Belated yet, Aus Day is Thursday 26th January.

Trace don't forget - doing a U e.

Oh thanks thought I missed it! LOL- Nana! :)
Happy Australia Day! :D

Traceyann said:
...a U e lol.......for everyone a U e is a u-turn lol

Around here we call it hooking a U-e, some people would also say banging a U-e. Funny, it's not something I've ever written out and so never considered how it would be spelled.

No worries seems to have been picked up by the "new hippies". I know a few people who say it constantly.

Stubbie isn't used for anything here as far as I'm aware, (unless, we would be making fun of a man's, a'hem size)

Some of the pronunciation tendencies are similar to southeastern English. I grew up in the south, a town over from Shelbyville. It took me forever to learn to say it the "correct" way which is Sheville. Soft E, no L no B no Y. Kitten Love??!! My fave southern pronunciation is rurnt.

This is fun. Ok- whatsa a Bond's chesty and an anzac cookie??
hey, you started it :p

PrairieCraft said:
Traceyann said:

Around here we call it hooking a U-e, some people would also say banging a U-e.

Same here (southwestern US). We also use, "pulling a U-e'.

PrairieCraft said:
No worries seems to have been picked up by the "new hippies". I know a few people who say it constantly.

Same thing around here, too. It's kinda catchy because I find it popping out of my own mouth at times.

PrairieCraft said:
Some of the pronunciation tendencies are similar to southeastern English.

Northeastern seaboard of the US, too (grew up in Massachusetts). For example, the city of Worcester is pronounced 'wooster', or rather I should say 'woostuh'. :wink:

PrairieCraft said:
My fave southern pronunciation is rurnt.

Okay, you got me curious - what is 'rurnt'? How would you use it in a sentence?

IrishLass :)

PrairieCraft said:
Traceyann said:

Around here we call it hooking a U-e, some people would also say banging a U-e. Funny, it's not something I've ever written out and so never considered how it would be spelled.

Stubbie isn't used for anything here as far as I'm aware, (unless, we would be making fun of a man's, a'hem size)

Some of the pronunciation tendencies are similar to southeastern English. I grew up in the south, a town over from Shelbyville. It took me forever to learn to say it the "correct" way which is Sheville. Soft E, no L no B no Y. Kitten Love??!! My fave southern pronunciation is rurnt.

Ok, a Bonds chesty - its a brand name (Bonds) and its a singlet and an anzac cookie ( actually its called an anzac biscuit) is a biscuit made for Anzac Day ( another celebrated day here).

PrairieCraft said:
Traceyann said:

Ok, a Bonds chesty - its a brand name (Bonds) and its a singlet and an anzac cookie ( actually its called an anzac biscuit) is a biscuit made for Anzac Day ( another celebrated day here).
http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anz ... dition.asp

IrishLass said:

I burned the Anzac biscuits, now they're rurnt. Get it? (ruined) drives my midwestern hubby crazy

OMG, Relle. I had to look up singlet! Ahahahah :lol:

I hope u all know what speedos are !!!!

LURVE a man in speedos ....especially a blonde and bronzed man ......mmmmmm

Its funny to see what each other know or dont know about our countries

Traceyann said:
I hope u all know what speedos are !!!!

LURVE a man in speedos ....especially a blonde and bronzed man ......mmmmmm

Its funny to see what each other know or dont know about our countries

Speedos, yes, but singlets? Not so much.

Hey -- here's a recipe for Anzac biscuits that I had stashed in my recipe box. I figure it's a great time to get some authentic opinions on it! Is it "proper?"

1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. unsweetened coconut
1 c. rolled oats
4 oz. butter
2 T. boiling water (add more if too dry)
1 T. Lyle's
1 tsp. baking soda

Melt butter with Lyle's Golden Syrup. Dissolve soda in boiling water. Mix with dry ingredients; add a bit more water if too dry. Drop by T. full onto lined baking sheet (I use parchment paper when I bake cookies).

Bake 180C (375F) approximately 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet.

------

How does that sound? In honor of y'all, I think I'll make a batch. Assuming it meets with approval from all of you Aussies! I might be one of the few Americans who actually has a bottle of Lyle's in the cabinet!

Yep sounds good, but I dont use coconut , and dont cook them tooooo long other wise they are too hard, I like mine on the softer side....and are great dipped in tea or coffee

Never heard of Lyle's before but we do have Golden Syrup. I'll have an anzac bikky please seeing you are making some. Yum.

I'll find my commonsence cookbook from school and put up that recipe - now that'll be old. :lol:

PrairieCraft said:
IrishLass said:

I burned the Anzac biscuits, now they're rurnt. Get it? (ruined) drives my midwestern hubby crazy

:lol: I like it! I'm adding that to my vocabulary.

Relle, here the Golden Syrup I get is a brand called Lyle's. I didn't even know there was another brand.

Thong throwing - in the US it could mean something else these days!!

Thanks for looking at the recipe, Traceyann and Relle! Hmmm...to use coconut or not to use coconut, now that is the question. And I'd love to see an "old" recipe!

Thanks also for the tip of baking time. I made this once ages ago and I sort of remember them being rock hard. I'll take 'em out when they are just set then.

Traceyann said:
HAHAH they just showed a dunny race up on the sunny coast lol.....thong throwing, the Irwins and Koalas....just LOVE today.......

Yep, saw that Trace, up on the Sunshine (wet)Coast.

The red back on the dunny, don't forget that one, keep thinking of the song -The red back on the toilet seat when I was there last night, didn't see him in the dark, but boy I felt his bite. :lol:

Relle9 said:
The red back on the dunny, don't forget that one, keep thinking of the song -The red back on the toilet seat when I was there last night, didn't see him in the dark, but boy I felt his bite. :lol:

That is one of my 2.5yo son's favourite books. He got it for Christmas, unfortunately they only had one, if there was more I was going to buy them out and use them as gifts.

Bubbles Galore said:
Here's some Aussie Slang for you all to enjoy.

http://wallabydown.com/aussie-slang/

It's truly a small world. I was surprised at how many slang words with the same meanings that we share. :) The following list of shared slang words with the same meanings are fairly common around my neck of the woods (southwest US), except for thongs. Here in the southwest thongs are really uncomfortable, scanty bottom articles of underwear, but where I grew up on the east coast of the US, thongs were those cheap rubber backless sandals (we call thongs 'flip flops' here in the southwest):

bail out
bogged
boogie board
cranky
dipstick
fair go
heaps
knock
perve
stoked
thongs
veg out