Now don't yell...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
but this may be a dumb question...

I have a bottle of FO called White Vanilla. No other explanations. Do you think the name indicates a non-discoloring vanilla?

I know I could do a test batch, but I really HATE doing test batches. (I also hate dark brown soap bars.)

How are you inclined to think on the matter?

I think it is probably non-discoloring, at least to a very dark brown. It may slightly discolor, and over time the soap color may darken as well. That said, I'd advise a test batch, especially if the FO is old. Whatever was added may not still be very effective.

If you don't like dark brown soaps, then it's best to do a test batch.

I Googled "White Vanilla"...got one hit, a place called Sweet Cakes Soaps (supplier). Claims it doesn't discolor at all, but the scent is "colder, less buttery-smelling".

Vanillin discolours in alkaline solution … you can just dump a few drops of the FO into a small beaker with a weak lye solution, and let it stand overnight. If it got yellow or brown, you have a definite “no”, if it stays colourless, however, it's better to rely on a test under soap conditions.

You can make a control test with a bit of vanillin sugar.

Or ....make your nice big batch, and pour off some batter for a swirl.

Don't add any colorant or vanilla stabilizer to the swirl batter, but do add vanilla stabilizer to the remaining base soap.

Then swirl the non-VS-treated batter into the VS-treated base.

Watch it during cure to see what happens. That way, your soap won't be all brown, and you get to find out whether the FO discolors.

Or ....make your nice big batch, and pour off some batter for a swirl.

Don't add any colorant or vanilla stabilizer to the swirl batter, but do add vanilla stabilizer to the remaining base soap.

Then swirl the non-VS-treated batter into the VS-treated base.

Watch it during cure to see what happens. That way, your soap won't be all brown, and you get to find out whether the FO discolors.
Exactly what I did with a vanilla FO that I explicitly bough because it was said to be discolouring … even overdosed it … still not the faintest trace of brown after 11 days & emergency CPOP … :smallshrug:

What is the supplier? Where did you get the bottle from? Their website should have that information, and if not, they should be able to provide at least the safety sheet that might give you clues (msds).
I am using some EOs/FOs I bought 20 years ago! (I used to be an avid soapmaker years ago, but then life changed and soapmaking fell by the wayside for quite a few years.) Anyway, so far, the EOs/FOs seem to be performing just fine without exception. I have 40 fluid ounces of this White Vanilla stuff. It was sold by "Evonne Woycitzky The Soapmaker". She doesn't seem to be in business anymore.

I am using some EOs/FOs I bought 20 years ago! (I used to be an avid soapmaker years ago, but then life changed and soapmaking fell by the wayside for quite a few years.) Anyway, so far, the EOs/FOs seem to be performing just fine without exception. I have 40 fluid ounces of this White Vanilla stuff. It was sold by "Evonne Woycitzky The Soapmaker". She doesn't seem to be in business anymore.
Got it. You could also try a few drops in any melt and pour you may have around, if it does have vanilla, it will also discolor that. That's great to know the FO's are performing well, after so many years!

So you do a test batch. Now I know that you aren't into doing test batches...I wasn't either until I had to toss a 50 oz batch, a bowl and almost a stick blender. I had a FO that BADLY accelerated. It went from fluid to concrete in like 2 seconds. I tried chipping the soap out of the bowl with a screwdriver and ruined the bowl. Fortunately, the shaft detaches and I was able to boil for about a half hour to soften the soap in the bell...took me over an hour to get it clean.

Unless the test turns out badly, the worst thing is I have four bars of 'house' soap.

Now I'm okay with brown soap for the most part...it depends on how 'brown' it is, and the scent. Chocolate Espresso discolors to a med brown, I add cocoa and brown oxide to make it a bit darker and then I top with 'whip cream'. I have a couple of other med browns that I take a small portion, add some TD and do a Drop/Chopstick Swirl and they sell too. Then there is Autumn Harvest from Elements; I fell in love with the 1oz bottle and went ahead and bought a 16oz bottle before testing. I was envisioning a multi-color of autumn colors...orange, green, gold and red. I got brown...DARK BROWN. REALLY DARK BROWN. What the heck am I going to do with this?!? @Todd Ziegler's VCS...I did the simple version, added an equal amount and...no brown, not even a light tan...it's an off-white. I don't have a picture of the original soap I made to show you just how brown it was, but THIS is using the VCS.

And since I'm going to be doing a test of Red Palm Oil this evening, I think I'll do a test with AH using the VCS at 25/50/75%.

My First Test Batch. I made a four bar test of my White Vanilla FO this afternoon. I was really impressed with how meager it appeared! It smells great though! A couple of pics:

Attachments

• IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4029.JPG
    IMG_4029.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
My First First Batch. I made a four bar test of my White Vanilla FO this afternoon. I was really impressed with how meager it appeared! It smells great though! A couple of pics:
That's the smallest batch of soap we've ever seen from you. I didn't even imagine you had such a tiny mold in your possession.😂

It does look lovely!

I've started doing my tests samples this way...a 3 ounce bar (uncolored) with a Mica swirl on top. The Mica swirl allows me to identify each fragrance when I unmolded the soap. This method is good for testing fragrance strength, fragrance stick, discoloration, and ricing. It is not the best for acceleration. Doing it this way, only one small test bar, I'll get an idea about acceleration, but the reality is usually much worse than what I see in the test bar.... However, I still get a warning to keep it simple when I move to using the fragrance in a regular batch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220129-075822.png
    Screenshot_20220129-075822.png
    663.3 KB · Views: 40
I've started doing my tests samples this way...a 3 ounce bar (uncolored) with a Mica swirl on top. The Mica swirl allows me to identify each fragrance when I unmolded the soap. This method is good for testing fragrance strength, fragrance stick, discoloration, and ricing. It is not the best for acceleration. Doing it this way, only one small test bar, I'll get an idea about acceleration, but the reality is usually much worse than what I see in the test bar.... However, I still get a warning to keep it simple when I move to using the fragrance in a regular batch.

I really like this idea! Thank you so much for the hint!

So much for "White" Vanilla...

This is about 5 days from making it. As you can see, it is quite BROWN, with a heavy coat of soda ash. The scent is great though. Maybe if I called it "Vanilla Bean" it would be ok. I wonder why the EO/FO seller would call it WHITE Vanilla. She could have just as well called it GREEN Vanilla and it would make as much sense. If she was still in business, I would ask her what her intention was.

Attachments

• IMG_4033.JPG
    IMG_4033.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 29
Back