November Challenge Entry Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
Please use this thread to submit your challenge entries for this month.

This thread is for entries only, so please keep any compliments and comments on the original challenge thread.

You must enter an image of your challenge soap and your colour palette.

I look forward to seeing them all!

Thank you for taking part :)

I didn't completely nail the palette because i got some color mixing. When I mixed my orange and blue micas together, I got a cool silvery brown, which didn't end up looking as cool when it blended as soap. Still I am happy with my bars.

I went for the complementary colors of orange and blue and then used black and white as accents.

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 11.21.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 11.21.07 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 11.20.56 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 11.21.17 PM.jpg

For my entry I too chose colors of blue and orange. I started with the darker blue, then added the lighter blue and chose the complimentary color scheme. I then softened the orange and changed the brown that came up to white. This soap is fragranced with a blend of BB Neroli and Shea Blossom and BB Kumquat. Colors used were Twilight (MO), Sky Blue (NS) with some added Twilight, and Mango Tango (NS).

color challenge neroli kumquat.JPG

neroli Color challenge_0061.jpg

Color Challenge cropped.jpg

Color Challenge cropped (2).jpg

Color Challenge_0060.jpg

Below is my entry, which I made using complementary colors from the online color wheel. I first chose the yellow shade, then picked the two color complementary option.

Since I was traveling and had only a few color options with me, I was really lucky to have these micas that complemented each other so well. I actually probably would not have thought to put the two together on my own. I did play around with a few other color options that I brought along on this trip, but these looked the best to my eye.

My color palette via the online color calculator:

2016-11-15%2007.05.39.png

My soap loaf after it came out of the mold (a shoe box):

2016_1111_17151800-1.jpg

4 of the 8 bars from this mold:

2016-11-16%2020.47.18.jpg

The other 4 of the eight:

2016-11-16%2020.45.12-1.jpg

My favorites from the group:

Last edited:
Oh wow, these are all looking gorgeous! If all the soaps entered are going to be this amazing, it will be a tough choice for winners indeed!

Here's my try - I went with an analogous blue and green palette. Scented with BB Clover & Aloe.

1479675361360.jpg

1479675375255.jpg

My entry was sort of an attempt to remake a batch from last year (using the same FO, similar recipe but different color scheme). I selected a split complimentary color combo with turquoise as the starting point. Given my current mica selection, I thought gold and mocha brown would be the best contrast with some black added at the last minute.

Looking back, I wish the color had been more even distributed within the bars . . . I feel like most of it went to the bottom of the mold. I probably could have used more colored batter vs white but I'm still happy with how it turned out. Thanks for the challenge Saponista!

color_wheel.jpg

Nov2016_SMF2.jpg

Nov2016_SMF.jpg

I have been champing at the bit to try Carolyn's (cmzaha) Dragon's Blood FO. She says it discolors to a medium-dark brown, so I decided to use the brown from the discoloration as my main color choice. I thought it would be pretty paired with a rich blue-green to make a complimentary color scheme. I added white and black for contrast. I added a soft pastel version of the blue-green to add a little softness. It's been less than a week since I made the soap, so the Dragon's Blood has not yet discolored fully. That means the pinky brown parts in the soap aren't nearly as dark as I hope they will eventually be. I can also see comparing the photos with my color wheel design, that the blue-green in the soap is more blue than what my design calls for. Even so, I still like how this soap is turning out -- it looks cool and smells amazing. The recipe is 60% lard, 25% high oleic sunflower, and 15% coconut oil. 3% superfat. 33% lye concentration. 95% NaOH and 5% KOH.

2016 11 challenge color scheme.jpg

P1020622 800.jpg

P1020622a 800.jpg

Last edited:
My first challenge! This was meant to be Christmas soap. Scented with Sandalwood FO. Red and pink is coloured with red clay and some purple mica, green is mica with bamboo charcoal for the dark green. White is just a bit of TD. Spoon swirled.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Does it look like Irish Spring?

2016-11-23_08-58-00

Compared to the colors I chose (monochromatic) I ended up with lighter colors but they turned out perfect for the Irish Spring dupe I was going for. I was desperately trying for an in the pot swirl but it thickened too much and I ended up with an in the pot plop which didnt quite make it into the pringles containers correctly. For testing bar sizes I also tried to pour 1" of batter into my loaf mold. (please use the first pic for judging, its a bit cleaner)

my full batch
2016-11-23_08-57-42

two greens and a white.png

This was a really fun challenge!

I went for an Analogous color scheme. I used mostly blueish gray with dark purple and lightened up green. I put some white in there for contrast.

Initially I poured as a ribbon swirl since those looked awesome from the previous challenge. But I couldn't leave well enough alone, grabbed a chopstick and went to town. I could hear the voice in my head that I think when I watch soaping videos on youtube, "Put it down; you're swirling too much; step away from the slab!". Alas, I didn't listen to that voice and muddied up the colors...

Scented with AHRE Green Irish Tweed.

Capture_zpssxlo7ruv.png

OJQE0593_zpsjuowiihy.jpg

I only did one try (again) this month because the month got away from me (again). I love bright colors, so I went with the purple that is on my bedroom walls. It is a deep eggplant. That was my base then I did the split complementary. But I didn't like any of the shades that actually came up on the color wheel, so I played with them until I found colors I liked. I used the grey because I like grey ceilings. I mixed the micas and matched the printed colors really well. I used indigo for the grey. It is a drop swirl with varying heights. Nothing spectacular. I was going to use a chopstick but the batter was still really fluid and I didn't want to muddy everything up. Over all, I'm happy with the way the colors came out; but not the designs. These are the best two out of the four bars. Please use the first for the judging, because it shows the colors the best.

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.jpg

This was a really fun challenge!

I went for an Analogous color scheme. I used mostly blueish gray with dark purple and lightened up green. I put some white in there for contrast.

Initially I poured as a ribbon swirl since those looked awesome from the previous challenge. But I couldn't leave well enough alone, grabbed a chopstick and went to town. I could hear the voice in my head that I think when I watch soaping videos on youtube, "Put it down; you're swirling too much; step away from the slab!". Alas, I didn't listen to that voice and muddied up the colors...

Scented with AHRE Green Irish Tweed.

Capture_zpssxlo7ruv.png

OJQE0593_zpsjuowiihy.jpg
I love this! I think it looks fabulous with all the wispy swirls!

I started with the purple and chose the rectangle. I adjusted the pink so it was a bit less orangey. The soap was made with white base with the blue and green ITP swirl and the purple and pink drop swirl into that. Skewered it a bit, but that mixed the blue and green too much. I think the tops do the best at showing the colors. Not an exact match, but I'm happy with the result! Thanks Saponista for a fun challenge!!
gVI6NOo.png

f8vFygr.jpg

MDvJZTD.jpg

Back