November 2022 Challenge Entry Thread - Trees

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for the delay!

This is the entry thread for the November 2022 SMF Soap Challenge - Trees. As a reminder, this entry thread is for challenge photos only. Please post any comments to the general challenge thread.

You are welcome to post more than one photo, but the photo for the voting survey should be at the top of your entry post. Your entry may include information about your design, process, colors, fragrance or inspiration.
The entry thread will remain open until November 27 at 11:59PM GMT. A message with the voting survey link and password will be sent to those who signed up for the challenge. Voting will be open until November 29 at 11:59PM GMT and the winner will be announced on November 30.

There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Good luck to all!

P.S. Please remember that each participant will need to look up the correct time for the location where they live.

I better post my entry now before I forget. I had hoped to make another batch, but that is not gonna happen, so here it is...

This is made in a regular mold and cut horizontally. I used 2 shades of green poured into toilet paper rolls and a light blue with fine white shreds for the rest. It's scented with a cedarwood, eucalyptus, and mint blend. To make the trees, I removed the TP tubes then zigzagged a skewer from bottom to top. I removed the skewer and went back to the bottom where I drug the skewer straight up from bottom to top.
PXL_20221116_125339869.jpg

Here is my “windswept tree” soap. I shamelessly copied (read: TRIED to copy!) Holly’s feather swirl tree landscape with a reverse (bottom to top) hanger swirl. Only had time for one attempt and had some successes, some fails. My background colour faded way out in me so the snowflakes are barely visible but I will definitely try that again! And I learned too late that paying attention to the hanger tool placement, and keeping it UPRIGHT in the batter throughout the pour is a good thing!
I have been having trouble with my tall and skinny mold - the batter pushes out the sides and my makeshift canning jar system didn’t work this time to keep the sides more or less straight. So, the sides of the soap got swept out just like the tree branches did. That was some wind!🤣
It was a lot of fun to learn this and I send my thanks to @Primrose for setting up the challenge!

Attachments

• 69F92DC8-54DF-4C46-B022-D3139D1C94D7.jpeg
    69F92DC8-54DF-4C46-B022-D3139D1C94D7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Here is my “windswept tree” soap. I shamelessly copied (read: TRIED to copy!) Holly’s feather swirl tree landscape with a reverse (bottom to top) hanger swirl. Only had time for one attempt and had some successes, some fails. My background colour faded way out in me so the snowflakes are barely visible but I will definitely try that again! And I learned too late that paying attention to the hanger tool placement, and keeping it UPRIGHT in the batter throughout the pour is a good thing!
I have been having trouble with my tall and skinny mold - the batter pushes out the sides and my makeshift canning jar system didn’t work this time to keep the sides more or less straight. So, the sides of the soap got swept out just like the tree branches did. That was some wind!🤣
It was a lot of fun to learn this and I send my thanks to @Primrose for setting up the challenge!
I’m sorry, I know my photo was supposed to precede any comments. Had a hard time with the post, I kept getting a “fail”’ message and finally gave up

Here are my fir tree soaps inspired by @glendam I knew I wanted to make this design from the moment I saw her soaps. Thank you Glenda for a wonderful design! Mine are scented with a blend of peppermint, lavender, fir and cedarwood eos, colored with oxides and sprinkled with enviroglitter for a snowy look. I used a dusky blue in the sky because I didn’t want to exactly copy Glenda’s soap, but I think the pale purple/lavender color she used looks especially gorgeous with the green.

B17D396C-D3AE-45C6-9ACD-7AC7F929A893.jpeg

15582F9C-F1C7-49FA-8F81-DE7A0AE323DA.jpeg

I always made simple soaps but recently I have been trying to learn new techniques. I used a simple technique in this soap (still learning).
In this soap, I first made a simple slab of melt and pour soap (added glitter to it). After I unmolded it, I cut triangle shapes to represent 🌲 trees. I then made regular cold process soap with these triangles embedded in it.
They looked incomplete (because of no color I guess), so I completed it by adding reindeer to it.

Attachments

• 20221126_211447.jpg
    20221126_211447.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 0
I am being a good sport and entering my second try here. It was supposed to be a reverse feather swirl. And I'm going to say, yes, it was my plan all along to create a Charlie-Brown-Christmas-tree-in-a-pot scene. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Pardon the soap crumbs and untrimmed edges - no time to clean them up since family is visiting through Tuesday.

SMF challenge Nov 2022 1jpeg.jpeg

SMF Challenge Nov 2022 3.jpg

Here is my entry - wood grain soap with ho wood, Himalayan cedar, frankincense, patchouli, and ginger. I have been playing with this watering can I found, using it for one pot wonder type pours. I poured all of the white in one side and the red in the other side. I might need to shorten the spout but I love the possibilities!
I should have taken a pic of the pour in action, but didn’t.
F5031068-2F30-4BDE-A04E-E10905C5E0C4.jpeg

B5936FB6-652B-433D-9FFC-CC528B04B068.jpeg
92EFD2B9-9D1B-4F48-A969-958589227F71.jpeg

I made some soap dough at the start of the month, and made a few versions of trees on soap.
This is a palm tree (we are coming into summer and the palm trees are looking vibrant here)
I also like the shadows they make ...

Attachments

• Tree soap entry M.jpeg
    Tree soap entry M.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back