November 2017 - 1920's Theme Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Great interpretation and execution, everybody!

Suddenly I'm glad that I'm totally of NaOH,hahaha! But I DO like this challenge idea, it makes everyone think hard before making soap.
@carabou are you using sculpted layer tachnique?
@kittish mmm... I would like to have a sniff of the exquisite perfume dupe. Are you using isolates & molecules? Or just pick some EO in each note?
@saltedfig Are you an artist? your drawing is awesome!!!
@dibbles great story behind the soap, and very cool fondant technique!!! (I suppose?)
@sunrisearts Wow! cool ruby lane finds and cool carving!!!

I'm in my phone using tapatalk, and these are the names I can think of now, you guys rock!

I used EOs and absolutes to blend my dupe attempt, based on reviews of the scent. I used the actual EO/absolute mentioned for each of the notes in the more complete review I found (seriously, this person waxes absolutely rhapsodic about this perfume. I think they liked it.), if I had that particular one. I don't have iris (orris wax), yet, so had to skip that one, and didn't have enough ambrette seed for the musk, so it's way lighter on that than it probably should be. I subbed in a bit of star anise because I didn't have enough coriander, and really did need a spicy note. I haven't ever smelled the actual Bois des Ilse perfume myself, so I have no idea how close I got, but my blend smells really nice. The drydown on my fragrance strip is into its third day, and I can still smell notes beyond the sandalwood base.

Wow! Great interpretation and execution, everybody!

Suddenly I'm glad that I'm totally of NaOH,hahaha! But I DO like this challenge idea, it makes everyone think hard before making soap.
@kittish mmm... I would like to have a sniff of the exquisite perfume dupe. Are you using isolates & molecules? Or just pick some EO in each note?
@saltedfig Are you an artist? your drawing is awesome!!!
@dibbles great story behind the soap, and very cool fondant technique!!! (I suppose?)
@sunrisearts Wow! cool ruby lane finds and cool carving!!!

I'm in my phone using tapatalk, and these are the names I can think of now, you guys rock!

Thank you! I think in baking royal icing is used for piping, and then the design is created with a brush. I did the same, only with soap instead of icing.

Just voted.....thank you, Saponista, for hosting. This was a great challenge idea. I can't wait to see what's up next. If anyone out there is wanting to do these challenges, but are putting it off because you think your soap isn't worthy....just do it! My favorite thing about these challenges is the encouragement from people who know. AND, I love to see all the product of creativity no matter the skill level. It's a great way to grow! Beautiful entries, everyone! I'm blown away every month!

SunRise ~ What in the world is wrong with you?? We would have been kicking you forever if you DIDN'T enter that!!

Saponista -- I'm confused by the close date. It says the 26th. Is that the end of the 26th or the beginning -- and in what time zone? I just returned from holiday this afternoon and got my second part poured. I assumed I could cut and post on Sunday the 26th, which is tomorrow, but reading the rules again, it says both the entry thread closes and voting begins on the 26th. I hope I have more than 5.5 hours from now! I'm at UTC -7, Mountain Standard Time.

lol Thanks for making me smile :)

Thank you for the lovely compliment, cherrycoke216.
The drawing is reproduced from an original by the artist, E.H.Sheppard.
It was a lot of fun recreating it in soap :).

Since I am an oil painter, I was going to make 1 bar of cold process, and use micas to paint ladies from the 1920's with their cool short hair and hats. But I have been overwhelmed with so much going on .... I might yet do that at some point to test it.

Did you draw with micas? What medium the you use for the mica? Oil or alcohol? Perhaps glycerin?

I am curious, as I would need something that really is smooth to be able to paint it. Normally I prefer alcohol, as I have a mica palette that I use for painting bath bombs.

No. It was multiple pours. The first black CP pour was only about 1/3 of the batter (it went just to where the top of the stem would be). After that first black pour hardened, I cut a vertical crack through it to make room for the m&p stem. But before pouring the stem, I made the main part of the martini glass by pouring m&p into a separate, tilted mold to get a triangular shape. After the triangle hardened, I poured the m&p stem into the crevice of the first black pour, and then I set the triangle on top of it so that it would set firmly in the stem as the stem cooled. Finally, I poured the remaining 2/3 of the black batter to finish encasing the martini glass.

Hope that makes sense. It was pretty simple but I had trouble pouring the stem into that tiny crack, and getting the triangle to set at the correct angle before the stem hardened. There were some other minor nuances I didn't handle the best, but so goes the soaping experience!

No. It was multiple pours. The first black CP pour was only about 1/3 of the batter (it went just to where the top of the stem would be). After that first black pour hardened, I cut a vertical crack through it to make room for the m&p stem. But before pouring the stem, I made the main part of the martini glass by pouring m&p into a separate, tilted mold to get a triangular shape. After the triangle hardened, I poured the m&p stem into the crevice of the first black pour, and then I set the triangle on top of it so that it would set firmly in the stem as the stem cooled. Finally, I poured the remaining 2/3 of the black batter to finish encasing the martini glass.

Hope that makes sense. It was pretty simple but I had trouble pouring the stem into that tiny crack, and getting the triangle to set at the correct angle before the stem hardened. There were some other minor nuances I didn't handle the best, but so goes the soaping experience!

I thought it was fabulous. Thanks for sharing the process.

I had to change ideas at the last moment, so I ended up making the soap with only a day before the deadline, using a very slow recipe at about medium trace. It was a soap on soap painting.

The black is some of the base soap, colored with activated charcoal powder and a little extra oil to keep the texture. I painted this on the base with a small paintbrush while everything was still wet.

I have more details and ideas, which I will have time to post in a few days, if you want to experiment?

Since I am an oil painter, I was going to make 1 bar of cold process, and use micas to paint ladies from the 1920's with their cool short hair and hats. But I have been overwhelmed with so much going on .... I might yet do that at some point to test it.

Did you draw with micas? What medium the you use for the mica? Oil or alcohol? Perhaps glycerin?

I am curious, as I would need something that really is smooth to be able to paint it. Normally I prefer alcohol, as I have a mica palette that I use for painting bath bombs.

It was so hard to pick just three favourites. So many different ideas, it's wonderful! Thank you again for an awesome challenge :)

I guess you know you can paint mica mixed with OO onto wet batter. Not sure how it would go on cured soap as the OO soaks into the wet batter.

Thank you for the lovely compliment, cherrycoke216.
The drawing is reproduced from an original by the artist, E.H.Sheppard.
It was a lot of fun recreating it in soap :).
I know it's a dupe, but you DO have amazing talent to reproduce it free hand, and you have a steady hand! ;)

You made the perfect angle!!! I would never thought that could be a two steps glass! ;)

I had to change ideas at the last moment, so I ended up making the soap with only a day before the deadline, using a very slow recipe at about medium trace. It was a soap on soap painting.

The black is some of the base soap, colored with activated charcoal powder and a little extra oil to keep the texture. I painted this on the base with a small paintbrush while everything was still wet.

I have more details and ideas, which I will have time to post in a few days, if you want to experiment?

It was so hard to pick just three favourites. So many different ideas, it's wonderful! Thank you again for an awesome challenge :)

Yes please do! especially if it involves drawing! I am artistically inclined!

Thank you so much everyone for joining in with this challenge. You all put so much effort in and each and every soap was absolutely fantastic. I'm really glad I didn't have to vote as I'm really not sure who I would have chosen.

The winner with the most votes was dibbles! Well done, such a lovely background story and the perfect soap to match.

In second place we have a tie. CaraBou and Jewels621

And in third place we have Sun Rise Arts (see it was worthwhile entering your soap!)

Thank you so much to everyone else who entered. I wish you could all have won.

Thank you so much everyone for joining in with this challenge. You all put so much effort in and each and every soap was absolutely fantastic. I'm really glad I didn't have to vote as I'm really not sure who I would have chosen.

The winner with the most votes was dibbles! Well done, such a lovely background story and the perfect soap to match.

In second place we have a tie. CaraBou and Jewels621

And in third place we have Sun Rise Arts (see it was worthwhile entering your soap!)

Thank you so much to everyone else who entered. I wish you could all have won.

Congratulations to the winners of the vote! And, in a way, we all DID win. We all have lovely soaps to show for the effort. That's a win in my book. :)

Perfect wins! Lovely work and soaps. Congratulations Dibbles! And CaraBou and Jewels621 and SunRiseArts ... and everyone.

Saponista, this challenge was so much fun, thanks for dreaming it up!

Back