November 2017 - 1920's Theme Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 2 ideas. The first 1 is the one I REALLY want to do but I don't think I'll be able to pull it off (it's probably easier to do than I'm making it out to be in my head lol) so I have a Plan B.

I googled soap ads from the 20’s and found this [URL="https://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/adaccess_soaps1920s/”]page from Duke Unjversity[/URL]. The attached was found in the image search... take a look at those claims

15F57CBB-6855-4DAF-AD9A-DE2AA21D9996.jpeg

D832074C-6BF5-4551-AAAC-A773EA761FC7.jpeg

I googled soap ads from the 20’s and found this [URL="https://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/adaccess_soaps1920s/”]page from Duke Unjversity[/URL]. The attached was found in the image search... take a look at those claims
Cool! Pain-free Liposuction that is? By using the supreLYE soap?
Very cute! Snake oils advertising in each and every era.
[emoji14]

1. dibbles - Oooh, love this idea!
2. toxikon - Some of my favourite artists are from the 20s, this will be a blast!
3. jewels621 - such an interesting idea!
4. Kittish - This should be interesting. I don't know much about the 20s. Google to the rescue!
5. Primrose - I'm in. This is a whole lot harder than last month but I am a sucker for 20's fashion
6. CaraBou - Great. I was gonna take the month off!
7. Jules92207 - You’re killing me smalls, so many ideas!
8. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have the time this month
9. SaltedFig - Copacetic!
10. SoapAddict415-The last 1 was so much fun, count me in again!
11. Cerelife - Interesting...I'm in!
12. Traumabrew - people are already taking my ideas...art deco and Dali

Don't fret Traumabrew. Your interpretation of a Dali or art deco design may look totally different than someone else's. Different colors/shades, recipes, techniques, etc are what make all of our soaps unique. Have fun with it!

Don't worry Traumabrew, you can still use any of the ideas listed. Just put your own personal spin on them. Noone's soap is likely to end up looking the same :) I received your message and your idea is fine. Just find a picture of something suitable to explain why you chose your idea.

2. toxikon - Some of my favourite artists are from the 20s, this will be a blast!
4. Kittish - This should be interesting. I don't know much about the 20s. Google to the rescue!
5. Primrose - I'm in. This is a whole lot harder than last month but I am a sucker for 20's fashion

13. At least I would get to vote!

13. Sunrise Arts - At least I would get to vote!
14. Artemis - might as well use up the last of the lye

13. Sunrise Arts - At least I would get to vote!
14. Artemis - might as well use up the last of the lye
15. Mommycarlson - I've got an idea :)

I'm done-- do I get extra points? It is edging it's way toward art nouveau rather than art deco, a little. If I get more lye in the house before the deadline I may try again to bump up my supply of Christmas soaps by making a second attempt.

I finally had time to make my first try. I have an idea of what I want to do, but have been having trouble figuring out just how to do it. So, what I came up with involved a combination of two techniques which I have never done successfully individually, let alone putting them together. What was I thinking? Not hopeful, but sometimes soap will give you a surprise.

I'm done-- do I get extra points? It is edging it's way toward art nouveau rather than art deco, a little. If I get more lye in the house before the deadline I may try again to bump up my supply of Christmas soaps by making a second attempt.

I adore art nouveau. Really looking forward to seeing all these entries. I'm really excited about this challenge :)

I actually made a bar I may enter.

In looking into 1920's images, that famous baby came up. I thought about recreating it. But I do not have enough material to make a mold.

I cut my first attempt this morning. Not perfect but it’s been a while since I’ve done a multi color m&p. This is a tricky prompt, I’m seriously only thinking of flappers and fringe. How do you pit fringe in soap? Oleic slime?

Latest posts

Back