note to self

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marilyn, my poo sparkles ALREADY! doesn't need no mica!
Smack Laugh.gif

The moulds are hard to clean, I find, getting in all the nooks and crannies like the flower moulds. :-([/QUOTE

This is probably going to sound weird, but what the heck.

i toss my fiddly molds in my front loading washing machine and run a regular cycle. I sometimes add dish towels and washcloths as well to help with the cleaning. After the spin they are mostly dry, but I air them completely before storing.

I tried mica for the first time last week and was not at all impressed, returning to Amazon, thanks no thanks

gotta get used to this quote no quote deal!

Our dishwasher is still tinted green from first time I tried to run a mica mixing bowl through the wash a few months ago. Since then I got stainless steel condiment cups to mix them and wash all of them by hand.

I had bought little glass ones to mix it in with but need to get some stainless measuring spoons and then will try the alcohol wipe down.

This is probably going to sound weird, but what the heck.

i toss my fiddly molds in my front loading washing machine and run a regular cycle. I sometimes add dish towels and washcloths as well to help with the cleaning. After the spin they are mostly dry, but I air them completely before storing.

I tried mica for the first time last week and was not at all impressed, returning to Amazon, thanks no thanks

gotta get used to this quote no quote deal!

Yes, you are the first person who I have ever heard of who puts their soap molds into the cloths washing machine! It would never have occurred to me to do so. I am assuming you are only talking about the silicone molds and not the wooden ones, PVC ones or other materials, of course. Still, I don't think I'll ever be doing that. I am fine with washing them in the sink and have never had any trouble getting them clean that way.

Color me lazy! HAH

Yess, the silicone sheet molds that have about 6 cavities with fiddly details - pop em in, wash cycle, voila - beautifully clean.

I have been known to find unusual solutions that save me time - some of which have been massive fails!

Color me lazy! HAH

Yess, the silicone sheet molds that have about 6 cavities with fiddly details - pop em in, wash cycle, voila - beautifully clean.

I have been known to find unusual solutions that save me time - some of which have been massive fails!
I definitely considered this but didn't want to learn how much mica could get into my clothes, given how far it spread on the dishwasher (and that was with pre wiping and pre washing) .maybe with the dog blankets next time ...

Excellent point! I do not use any mica - thank you so much for adding this to my brain pan, as it will hopefully pop up as a "Danger Will Robinson!!!" moment should I ever try this again after using mica!!!

I love micas! I was just hating on the clean up. I love that I can just dump them in the batter, they don't clump, and I get great as-advertised colors!

can you tell me where you get your mica? I got some from Amazon and (1) it was a nightmare to blend in and (2) the colors were barf inspiring.

Also - when you blend int the mica, do you sprinkle it on the top or pre-mix it with a carrier? Thank you for your time!

can you tell me where you get your mica? I got some from Amazon and (1) it was a nightmare to blend in and (2) the colors were barf inspiring.

Also - when you blend int the mica, do you sprinkle it on the top or pre-mix it with a carrier? Thank you for your time!
I get mine from Bramble Berry and like their sample packs before committing to larger quantities. I do not use a carrier oil which is why I prefer micas over other colorants. I just sprinkle the mica on top of the batter and hand stir for several minutes and then a quick burst with the stick blender.

Latest posts

Back