not totally mixed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Ok so, I have only been making very basic, no superfat, 100% CO soap for washing dishes for a year or so. But I have a new job, I work outside in a machine with no a/c and I get very sweaty and dirty. So I decided I wanted to make some nice-smelling CO soap for washing up at work after my shift, because their little dispenser soap does NOTHING to get me clean. I remembered I made a 100% CO soap for a ribbon pour challenge a couple years ago and wanted to try that again. I made a large batch.

Problem: I only stirred the main pot of soap batter, no stick blending. I'm not even sure it got to complete emulsion, much less trace. I measured out 4 cups of batter for colorant, and another cup of plain batter that was to be white. I stick blended all these. Well, needless to say, the stick blended parts started to set up very quickly and I could not even DO the ribbon pour. In a panic I dumped the rest of the hand-stirred-only batter into my slab mold, and poured the colors from their individual cups. It has been an hour and I can see some of the colors are setting up (but they may have too much mica in them, arg) but there is what looks like free-floating oil also around the edges of the mold.

Question: Since it was all mixed up, just not all blended to the same level, will the oil that currently appears to be free, eventually saponify? Or am I going to have to rebatch this mess, and if so, how would I go about doing that?? It is 100% CO with 2 oz EO and 30% lye concentration. Oh and I made it 5% superfat.

Give it a few days and the oil will probably absorb back in. Usually it just needs time. If it doesn't, you can grate with a box grater (use gloves!) or a salad shooter and heat with just a couple spoonfuls of water. Here's a tutorial on SoapQueen about how to use their product. Since your soap will be really fresh you should start with very little water so it doesn't get too wet.

Thank you so much! I posted in a panic but I just cut it after 5 hours and it looks pretty good. There were a few oily spots in the corners of the mold and there is what I am very much hoping is ash and not lye on the top. I'm going to wait a week and then zap test for safety. But I think it will be ok. I very much appreciate the encouragement!

You can see in the pic that it is slightly clear between the colors, that is the stirred-only batter. But it all set up and is solid! 87ED913C-DE3A-4BB3-AE44-75286FAF21C8.jpeg

It may not have gone to plan but looks like a nice result (to my poorly trained eye!) Sounds a good plan to give it a week before zap testing, hope it turns out nicely and you can get clean again after work!

Thank you so much! I posted in a panic but I just cut it after 5 hours and it looks pretty good. There were a few oily spots in the corners of the mold and there is what I am very much hoping is ash and not lye on the top. I'm going to wait a week and then zap test for safety. But I think it will be ok. I very much appreciate the encouragement!

You can see in the pic that it is slightly clear between the colors, that is the stirred-only batter. But it all set up and is solid! View attachment 40160
Beautiful colours!

You can see in the pic that it is slightly clear between the colors, that is the stirred-only batter. But it all set up and is solid! View attachment 40160
Glad it worked out. I think your soap is pretty. Scent?

Thanks for the compliments! TAS the scent is lemon eucalyptus EO. Smells heavenly. :)

Hard to say, the parts that look more 'translucent' may be an issue.
It's been a few days and the translucent parts are slowly turning white. I still haven't zap tested but think it will be fine!

Latest posts

Back