Not sure where I went wrong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Lee

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm very new to the DIY soap world. I've been testing here and there on my end, and finally thought I was ready to make the bars I wanted to make - but it turns out, not so much.

My idea is to have a blue bottom, with a soap imbibed within, and a clear base on top. I double broiler my soap to ensure a slow melt, so I'm fairly confident I did not burn it - it did not change to a yellowish tint (which it has before when I've burned this specific brand) nor did the consistency change to a gloppy mess. However, the clear base isn't really clear and I seem to get these white streaks on the very top (spraying with rubbing alcohol did nothing). I have seen a youtube video of someone doing something similar, and theirs turned out perfect. Is the base not supposed to be actually clear? What can I do to avoid the white streaks on the top?

I'm attaching two images of the soap, as well as two images of the products used in terms of colours, soap base, and fragrance.

34963605_10156074799445546_7390474952077475840_n.jpg
35114603_10156074799850546_3440958017497989120_n.jpg
20180611_221229.jpg
20180611_221203.jpg

I am guessing the biggest culprit is the Craft Store base, which are not really good bases. It is better to purchase from a reputable company and Essentials by Catalina has some really good bases and a crystal clear base. Their Stephenson bases are a little harder to work with according to my daughter who was the m&p expert. Not me. This is a very clear base, but I think EBC only sells blocks https://essentialsbycatalina.com/super-clear-melt-pour-glycerin-soap-base. You can request samples, but I have no idea how much you receive as a sample.

That was my biggest fear. I live in Canada, and the shipping is just simply too much with every site I've looked at. The one you linked, for example, the shipping is more than the soap.

Did you fragrance the clear? That can make clear base cloudy if you don’t use a completely clear fragrance. The streaks on top looks a bit like bubbles to me or like you covered it with plastic wrap that drooped a bit.

Back