Not sure what kind of swirl this is!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftyRedhead

Reaction score
I had a spare hour and for the first time in forever I found myself home alone.. so I had to make soap! I had a recipe set printed out and ready, so I quickly set up and got going. After mixing the color I realized I forgot to look up how to do the design. And by that, I mean ANY design! So I winged it, lol! This is only my 5th batch, I'm starting to feel more confident soaping, but I haven't really done designs at all. While I'm looking at some of the beautiful things you all create I can usually figure out how to do it, but I completely blanked sitting there with my batch at medium trace. Here's the end result!

Forgot to add pic! Again...

1403054321460.jpg

I wish I could be home alone but that never happens. We have a full house and somebody is always around. Was considering building a large shed in the backyard so I could work undisturbed but realized it would cost a fortune to put AC into it as I live in Florida and it could get brutally hot in there. But I digress. The soap looks really cool. Looks kind of like the top is melting and dripping down the sides. Neat effect. If you don't mind me asking how did you achieve it?

That would be an awesome technique around Halloween with a red dripping!

Thanks everyone! I was pretty surprised with how much I liked it, but you guys make me feel so much better about an almost fail!
I use my app, not my computer, so quoting is hard..

Scotsman - I know how you feel, I have a 16 month old.. alone time is a thing of the past! To make the design, I was at a medium trace, poured all my uncolored batter in and leveled it, and poured my color batter from a height of about 8 inches above the mold one way along one side, then about 4 inches above the mold coming back along the other long side. Then, since I had a little left, I coated the top by lightly pouring over the side of a spatula. Hopefully that makes sense!

Sinful - what a great idea!! Halloween is my favorite holiday :D

CaraBou - since I'm still in the learning stage, and not selling my soap yet (or for a long long time) I'm using cheap stuff! There's a craft store in my area called hobby lobby, and I figured even if they're low quality, at least I'm getting experience with color. That being said, I used the lime green and turquoise mixed together.. I was aiming for green to go with my Kentish rain FO. It originally morphed into a dull gray, then changed to purple right before I cut it. Oddly enough, the purple goes pretty well with the FO!

1403068167738.jpg

16 months is a fun age, lol! My grandson is 17 months old and he gives my daughter a run for her money. We also have a hobby lobby near me in Orlando. Not too much soap making stuff but they do sell a plumeria fragrance oil I really like.

He's a ball of energy for sure! I thought hobby lobby was a Texas thing, I've never seen one anywhere else - that's pretty cool. They don't have much of a selection at my local store, just colors and bricks of M&P. Maybe someday they'll pull in some FOs.

Hobby Lobby is all over the place. They may not be around much longer though depending on how things go. The owner of the chain is currently in a fight with congress. He doesn't agree with Obamacare and doesn't feel he should be forced by congress to provide it for his employees as he believes it to have inferior coverage to what he already offers his employees. He has said publicly that if he loses this case he'll shut down his entire company rather that give in to something be believes to be unconstitutional. Maybe I should stock up on that plumeria FO while I still can, lol!

Latest posts

Back