Not sure what I just made

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawninWA

Reaction score
It does appear to be soap though, so that's a good sign :thumbs:.

I mixed my lye solution, the (brand new) scale was jumping around a bit, but nothing too bad, I thought it was weighing normally. When I got to my oils, I put the lard in, then I had to get something, when I came back, it was displaying a much different weight. So I went to get my old trusty, but very annoying scale, and the new one weighed the same oil at much higher weight. Of course, I would naturally just proceed with the old scale, but I already mixed a batch of lye, but I had no way of knowing how much it really was, and didn't want to waste it either.

I assumed that I had too much lye for the batch, so I put the lard aside, got another mixing bowl, put the whole recipe's weight in coconut oil in the bowl and added the lye. I've been using bar soap for washing dishes, so I made myself a 100% coconut oil soap with an unknown superfat. I put the last of my lemon essential oil, so maybe it'll be a nice soap. The original recipe was 6% superfat. I'd it's too fatty, I can rebatch.

I just moved and can't find my good scale (that measures accurately and isn't annoying like the other old one I used as backup). So I bought a new one, bad idea.

The soap has gelled and hardened already, but is still very hot. I'll cut it tonight.

The original soap I started to make got made too. It's pink and scented with dragon fruit fragrance oil and has poppy seeds to look a little like the dragon fruit seeds. It turned out well and is progressing like it should.

It’s always nice to make another soap when one goes off the rails. I looked dragon fruit up and I don’t think I’ve ever tried it, which is strange, because I was pretty sure that I had tried just about everything by now. I’m not sure we can get them in my rural part of Virginia, but maybe the next time I go to California or Arizona.

Moving is a good reason to lose track of something. I lose things in my house all the time, and for no good reason :).

I don't think so. It jumps around. If you bump the table or move what's on it it shows a new number. If you leave it alone and don't touch anything, it keeps changing. It was cheap, I'll get a better one.

On a positive note, I tried some for washing dishes (hand washing only, don't use bar soap in the dishwasher), and it works great! Much more sudsy than the scrap soap bars I was using, and that stuff was already pretty sudsy (I mixed my soap scraps with a -10% superfat lard/coconut soap).

20190721_190016.jpg

Happy accident soap.

Last edited:
I don't think so. It jumps around. If you bump the table or move what's on it it shows a new number. If you leave it alone and don't touch anything, it keeps changing. It was cheap, I'll get a better one.

Happy accident soap.

I think if I was experiencing this, I'd get a new scale too. By the way - I just moved as well and can relate. Took me a while to find everything. I moved from Washington to Arizona (work transfer), so it looks like you are in my old neck of the woods. :)

Sometimes scales will jump around if the pan wasn't set on quite right, or if the surface you have it on isn't level. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back