Not sure what I am doing wrong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina1207

Reaction score
Maybe I am using the wrong wick, but for the lift of me I can't get my candles to burn right. I have a pillar mold, the melt my soy wax to 185 add my color, then let it cool and add the essential oils. Then cool completely. But my wicks are drowning so I think I am under wicking which makes no sense the spool says 2in to 4inch and my pillars are about 2 1/2 wide. Can anyone help?

A bit more information would be helpful.
What wax are you using?
What wick series and size?
What fragrance load?
You mention your mold is 2.5", what diameter is the melt pool when it drowns out?

To add to earthling121757's questions, are you sure the soy wax you are using is a pillar soy and not just a hard container soy?
When you say drowning, is the flame going completely out, or is it just not burning out to the sides? In pillars there should be a shell well that you can either "hug" after you blow out the flame, to help it consume completely, or you can leave the shell so the flame can glow through. But if what you are after is a candle burning all the way out to the sides, then you can potentially get a blow out, where the side will get a hole in it, spilling out the molten wax, making your candle not burn correctly.

If you can give us all that extra information, we will be able to better help you with your inquiry.

Back