Not sure if this is okay...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just recently took a plunge and ordered a 2lb slab of M&P but when I opened the box earlier, I found a small dead larvae inside the package of the soap. I don't feel like trying to make a phone, especially of I don't need to but The soap should be fine if i wipe it off, right? I don't need to allow my self to get neurotic over it, right?

If there was just one larva, it was loose (and dry) and not embedded or melted into the soap I don't think it should be a problem. I'd probably spray or wipe the soap base with alcohol. If you were selling, it would be different but for personal use I guess it depends on your own 'ick factor' and what you can or want to do as far as using it or pursuing the issue with the vendor. Compared to what is in food, I don't think it's a big deal.

If a phone call is difficult, I'd still do as lsg suggests and email the supplier - include a photo if you can.

I have the ick factor. I'd be dreaming of it LOL

Do you have any idea what its like for me living in Florida? We have Palmetto Bugs. You cannot give an enormous cockroach that flies a cute name and expect me to be good with that lol. I was on my way home from work one night and was dealing with a spider running across the inside of my windshield the whole hour-long trip. Finally it was dangling from my rear view mirror. I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled over at a random bar and grabbed a random stranger to come kill it for me. We won't talk about the stick bug with a baby stick bug on her back.

Back to the OP. I would at least email them with pictures as Dibbles and lsg said.

Do you have any idea what its like for me living in Florida? We have Palmetto Bugs. You cannot give an enormous cockroach that flies a cute name and expect me to be good with that lol. I was on my way home from work one night and was dealing with a spider running across the inside of my windshield the whole hour-long trip. Finally it was dangling from my rear view mirror. I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled over at a random bar and grabbed a random stranger to come kill it for me. We won't talk about the stick bug with a baby stick bug on her back.

Back to the OP. I would at least email them with pictures as Dibbles and lsg said.
🤣Most bugs I can deal with, but in MN we don't have a lot of what you do as far as giant insects go. Mice though, that's a completely different story.

And what the heck is this? Im guessing some sort of moth.

Sorry to deflect from the original post. But now i got bugs on my brain lol.

🤣Most bugs I can deal with, but in MN we don't have a lot of what you do as far as giant insects go. Mice though, that's a completely different story.
Ok, to put it back to the OP. What would you think if this was mouse poop on your expensive purchase? There is something wrong at their warehouse right? I still agree with your suggestion that they email them. Im not a phone person myself either.

Just throwing the ick factor back to your court lol

Attachments

• 5A3DB98A-A359-4D85-8C9F-65B6B4EB0408.jpeg
    5A3DB98A-A359-4D85-8C9F-65B6B4EB0408.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 19
Sadly things happen in warehouses and even in food warehouses a certain amount of stuff we do not even want to think about is allowable. This is soap, wash it off and move on spray with a good dose of alcohol and move on, you will also be melting it. BTW you might not want to think about the possibility of how much-unhatched larva you might be eating in grains. :D

If there was just one larva, it was loose (and dry) and not embedded or melted into the soap I don't think it should be a problem. I'd probably spray or wipe the soap base with alcohol. If you were selling, it would be different but for personal use I guess it depends on your own 'ick factor' and what you can or want to do as far as using it or pursuing the issue with the vendor. Compared to what is in food, I don't think it's a big deal.

If a phone call is difficult, I'd still do as lsg suggests and email the supplier - include a photo if you can.

Ok, to put it back to the OP. What would you think if this was mouse poop on your expensive purchase? There is something wrong at their warehouse right? I still agree with your suggestion that they email them. Im not a phone person myself either.

Just throwing the ick factor back to your court lol
Sadly things happen in warehouses and even in food warehouses a certain amount of stuff we do not even want to think about is allowable. This is soap, wash it off and move on spray with a good dose of alcohol and move on, you will also be melting it. BTW you might not want to think about the possibility of how much-unhatched larva you might be eating in grains. :D
@dibbles I don't sell. If I did, I'd probably be a bit more angry but still conflicted. But I'm like @Catscankim in that I HATE bugs (and yes, ma'am, I know what Florida is like a whole lot better than you know and it does not include Florida Man).

@cmzaha I have a strong food service background with the added bonus of getting a little too focused on the origins of our food. People are generally okay because of the out-of-sight-out-of-mind thing we have. I'm aware of our food and those factors are partly why in NY at least, where it can be done, we keep food above 160F if it is to be warm or sufficiently chilled if they are cold items. The bugs are one thing but human ickiness can be more dangerous in most cases.

But back to topic, it's less laziness and more my ability to handle a phone call. I cannot speak well on a phone at all. I also don't have anyone who could help place calls if I need so it is very hard even to call to make a simple doctor's appointment or calling the any company to make changes. Email, I can try and at least auto correct and slower pacing can help me get my idea across. Also, I haven't opened the package yet and I have not ideal the bugger is only on the top. Would melting and holding that soap be enough to kind of get some ease of mind?

One of my first jobs was working in the office of a large grocery store chain. The offices were above the warehouse which stored not only dry goods and grains, but also the produce for distribution to the stores. You really don't want to know what happens in warehouses and is still within compliance of regulations. A quick google search for % of bug parts and rodent hairs in food that is allowed by the FDA will bring up lots of articles. I'm not going to link them for those who would rather not know.

As far as mouse poop on the soap - well, in this case it wasn't. And it is unlikely that with mouse poop there would be just one. Those little buggers leave lots of evidence behind.

@Arimara I know you do not sell, and that phone calls can be difficult for you. That is why I suggested an email if you are inclined to get in touch with the supplier, and indicated it is really up to you as far as what you feel you personally need to do to mitigate the ick factor. For me, if it was one larva which I could remove and either cut out the area it was resting on or clean it with alcohol, I'd be okay with using it. If you found several when the package was opened, then I would probably not use it and ask for a replacement or refund. But that is me and my tolerance level.

I understand phobias can be incredibly difficult to live with (I am human and have had my own). However it is not advisable or necessary to kill invertebrates in the normal course of things. As a scientist, it is hard to find words in a short post to convey how soon, and how dramatically, our ecosystems will collapse if we continue to regard the base of food webs as disposable. Humans cannot survive without these food webs. If we want to live, we have to be better. As I said I do know that these types of phobia can be overwhelming. There are ways you can tackle them although it takes time and work like anything worthwhile, and it is something really worth doing for your own peace of mind and well-being. I hope I haven't offended you as I have a great deal of respect and admiration for you and your colleagues on this excellent forum. Conserving these small but often amazing (and beautiful, in more cases than you'd think!) creatures and raising awareness of their numerous invaluable services is an issue I've spent my life working on so I hope you will forgive me for speaking passionately.

I respect your passion. I just dont want them in my house (or dead larva on my purchased soap)! When the stick bug with baby in tow was on my windshield....i actually drove slowly to my friends house to have him relocate it safely. So i get you.

Latest posts

Back