Not sure if these silicone are good. Low priced

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe that I've ever ordered from this particular supplier, but I've ordered quite a few silicone molds from Aliexpress and a few others in China and they are just fine. I don't know that I'd necessarily want to eat something cooked in a silicone mold from China, but I have no problem using the molds for soap.

I don't believe that I've ever ordered from this particular supplier, but I've ordered quite a few silicone molds from Aliexpress and a few others in China and they are just fine. I don't know that I'd necessarily want to eat something cooked in a silicone mold from China, but I have no problem using the molds for soap.

Thank you navigator. And I agree on the food.

I've ordered lovely, detailed silicone molds similar to these from China. Perfectly fine if you don't mind waiting a few weeks for shipping, or at least that's been my experience.

Also those kinds of (detailed) molds are best for mp. For cp, go with something less intricate. Not sure what your purpose is so just thought I'd mention it. I like a basic one pound loaf mold like this; it produces four good sized bars and won't drown you in soap as quickly as most loaf molds will.

Also those kinds of (detailed) molds are best for mp. For cp, go with something less intricate. Not sure what your purpose is so just thought I'd mention it. I like a basic one pound loaf mold like this; it produces four good sized bars and won't drown you in soap as quickly as most loaf molds will.

Thank you I was wondering about all that detail. So a thin trace maybe? I have not made my first batch of soap yet. My first batches will be oilive oil 100% :) and work my way up.

They have some tutorials, I have not looked at them.

Related Blog Posts

Last edited:
Pouring at a thin trace will definitely help. But the trick with too much detail will be unmolding the soap. The one you linked above is reasonable for cp; just make sure the soap hardens well before unmolding. The other thing to consider is that you shouldn't make a batch that small (too much can go wrong in small quantities), so if you use that mold buy a few or have another mold handy to put the extra batter into.

Pouring at a thin trace will definitely help. But the trick with too much detail will be unmolding the soap. The one you linked above is reasonable for cp; just make sure the soap hardens well before unmolding. The other thing to consider is that you shouldn't make a batch that small (too much can go wrong in small quantities), so if you use that mold buy a few or have another mold handy to put the extra batter into.

Thank you cara.
Yes I told myself I would have to have a bunch of the molds. Or maybe use for batch over runs or size batch to where I would have a 1/2 lb to lb extra. Not sure if that's the thing to do : )

I have many of these molds that are very detailed, and I've found that pouring at a thin trace is definitely required. I like to CPOP my soaps, and by doing this, I've had no problem unmolding them the following day. If not gelled, I'd probably wait a week, or at least several days before unmolding. Soaps made in silicone molds with thick walls are easily unmolded. I do have some that have thin walls, like this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M9N7CM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20, and I've had more trouble getting the soaps out of these without having to push hard with my thumbs, and I've dented the soaps. With thicker molds like this one, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Snow...51&btsid=94baaad5-be7d-477f-b026-6fa0223f3bfd, it's much simpler to remove the soap, just pull the edges away, flip the mold upside down, and the soap drops out. If you really love a mold, there's no reason not to use it. They're all useable, some are just a lot more work than others. For me, thick walled silicone is definitely the way to go.

Here is one of my soaps from a detailed mold. The mold is one of those with thicker sides, and this soap was gelled. You can see that all of the detail is intact.

bastile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back