Not Ready To Sell, However

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
Hi Soapers,

As my title says, I'm nowhere near ready to sell at this point. However, I am thinking ahead to Thanksgiving when my family holds a "mini-family reunion". I will have several of my aunts and uncles there and would like to gift them some of my soap as they have all been asking about it.

That said, I was trying to come up with something other than "Soap by 'Pot Ash Pat'" to put on the labels. I've come up with something that I think might work as a "brand". Our last name is Mason, so ... "The SoapMason". Thoughts on the *Logo* would be appreciated.

The SoapMason Transparent 2.png

Thank you both. I had some worries that it might be a little too cutesy using the last name and the graphics might be a little too sparse.

And I like it too! (spoken with a lilting Irish accent, of course, in the vein of those old Irish Spring soap commercials from the '70's). :)

I think it's perfect. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

I don't know, sorry I find it kinda of creepy with the big black hands, only as a color. The bar of soap is to much in the background with the prominent hands. Sorry just my opinion. I do like the concept and the name, maybe slim the hands down. Also keep in mind printers do not love printing pure black and can be troublesome on label stock, unless you are going to send them to a printer

I think the font for "handcrafted" needs to change to something easier on the eye. Maybe it's just my eyes, but I find it hard to read and it looks too "scrawl-y" for my tastes. I like the name, though.

I don't know, sorry I find it kinda of creepy with the big black hands, only as a color. The bar of soap is to much in the background with the prominent hands. Sorry just my opinion. I do like the concept and the name, maybe slim the hands down. Also keep in mind printers do not love printing pure black and can be troublesome on label stock, unless you are going to send them to a printer

No need to be sorry Carol. I was asking for opinions, and that includes constructive criticism also. Can't improve upon an idea if you don't get feedback that makes you think about what may need to be improved upon.

As an aside, I chose the black hands because the soap that is being "hand crafted" (my soap) is being handcrafted by a guy with big black hands. lol

Man, I would not want to put anything resembling my hands (little ugly brown ones) on a label :)

I kind of like the idea behind yours, although if what Carolyn says about printing that much black on label stock is correct - and her advice pretty much always is - it might be a reason to test it out before you get too attached .....

Oh, I knew for a fact that I was going to have to send away to have these printed. Our little Canon inkjet can barely handle the graphs, etc. that my son prints out for reports. It's great on pictures though .. go figure.

Cenz, will it be much more expensive b/c so much black? I don't know how those things work. If so, I wonder if you could get the same effect by doing a thick outline (ie; thick enough to convey the idea of black hands rather than just having it be an outline)? Not sure if that makes sense, or if it would work, even. It might be worth it to just take your lumps and pay, heck, you've already pretty much committed to a lifetime of penury w/the FO addiction and all :)

You know, I've got until ... say late October to have settled on a final design and order the labels. I'm quite sure that once I've paid my dues, made my mistakes and have developed a product line that I can be proud of, I'll revamp the logo, etc. But, that's months and months away. I'm thinking that if I start selling, it will be sometime next spring/summer. So for now, as a "gift label", I want something ... not embarrassing and nice.

As another aside, I've had people sample my soap who are ... well not begging, but trying to push me to sell, because apparently there aren't soapers in the area (at least none who sell) ... and when I tell them I'm not ready, they just don't understand why. That's OK though, because I "DO" understand why.

This inspires me, if I ever sell, I may actually have an "ugly soap" line w/pics of my actual hands on it! About time they earned their keep :)

Ha! The ugly soap line is a pretty good idea. As far as your hands being ugly, I'm sure that they aren't. We all have parts of our bodies that we are sensitive about.

Latest posts

Back