Not Ready To Sell, However

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha! The ugly soap line is a pretty good idea. As far as your hands being ugly, I'm sure that they aren't. We all have parts of our bodies that we are sensitive about.

Oh no, they objectively are, even my mom thinks so. That is OK, though, I figure that I am better off w/my ugly little mitts that having to deal with, e.g., a Cyrano issue! Also, I am quite fond of them despite their ugliness, they have provided yeoman's service all my life.

I think your label is far more than just "not embarrassing and nice", for me it really works as an end result if the printing thing is not an issue. Also it is kind of great that it appears there are not a lot of soap sellers in your area, when you get around to selling it will be so nice to have the market cornered rather than having to deal w/tons of competition as in a lot of other areas.

Last edited:
No need to be sorry Carol. I was asking for opinions, and that includes constructive criticism also. Can't improve upon an idea if you don't get feedback that makes you think about what may need to be improved upon.

As an aside, I chose the black hands because the soap that is being "hand crafted" (my soap) is being handcrafted by a guy with big black hands. lol
Yep, I did figure why the hands color and believe me that was not part of my issue. I just felt if they were a bit slimmer the soap in the middle would stand out more and put the hands in the background, our hands are really in the background when it comes to finished soap, and that is where my thought process was going. Something to bring out the soap. As mentioned I really do like the name and concept. Even changing the font and size of the "Handmade Soap" may do the job. We do not find that is costs more to print black on labels. Outlining might be a thought as Not_Ally mentioned. We also changed our logo from our original.

Wish I lived in an area with little or no competition. There are now 4 soapmakers in the market I am moving back to. The new owner/manager asked how many I wanted dismissed, told him none. I am used to lots of competition

Last edited:
Yep, I did figure why the hands color and believe me that was not part of my issue. I just felt if they were a bit slimmer the soap in the middle would stand out more and put the hands in the background. Something to bring out the soap. As mentioned I really do like the same. Even changing the font and size of the "Handmade Soap" may do the job

Oh NO! I think you misunderstand. I didn't think that was part of your issue. My skin is not that thin. I took your observations as constructive criticism and something to consider in a revision. As a matter of fact, I re-worked my design to incorporate them.

SOAPMASON REVISION 1.png

Wish I lived in an area with little or no competition. There are now 4 soapmakers in the market I am moving back to. The new owner/manager asked how many I wanted dismissed, told him none. I am used to lots of competition

We went to a couple of indoor flea markets and outdoor farmer's markets yesterday. Not one soap maker. No bath bombs, lotions ... nothing. Couldn't understand it. Living in a rural area, I would have thought that there would be more people making/selling soap.

The larger soap looks much better. I'm not crazy about the chartreuse color though, it hurts my eyes a bit. It probably would be ok on a label but you might try different colors to see if any look better. I would probably go with a blue.

Something about the soapmason looks off, is it centered over the image?

It might be, but might just be because it is 'the' with a space so it looks lopsided.

Have you tried it with the 'the' above the 'soapmason'?

Also, the soap itself looks odd with the three lines one side and the two lines the other and I think the word soap is also off centre

It might be, but might just be because it is 'the' with a space so it looks lopsided.

Have you tried it with the 'the' above the 'soapmason'?

Also, the soap itself looks odd with the three lines one side and the two lines the other and I think the word soap is also off centre

I'll have to try it with 'The' on a Top line ... never thought of that. I can't do much about the soap picture as it was free clip art. If I had to draw any of it myself, there would be a whole lot more stuff off center or just plain crazy looking. lol

The larger soap looks much better. I'm not crazy about the chartreuse color though, it hurts my eyes a bit. It probably would be ok on a label but you might try different colors to see if any look better. I would probably go with a blue.

Something about the soapmason looks off, is it centered over the image?

I'll plug some different colors in and see how I feel about them.

I want to thank you all for your suggestions. They (and you) are greatly appreciated!

I like the second logo better than the first. I agree about the "the", also.

I think all of us get well meaning friends and relatives that have only ever experienced our handmade soap encouraging us to sell. I think that is the #1 reason we get so many people thinking they are going to get rich after making one batch of soap. If you have no competition where you live, though, I might would be perfecting ONE basic recipe with different scents and/or colors to hit that market the minute you cross that one year mark.

That one looks much better. I agree with TEG, try having "The" above "Soapmason". I also think it looks odd as the soap picture looks like it's trying to be 3D, whereas everything else is 2D. I wonder if you could try editing it and cutting off the extra part of soap on the left?

That's kind of what I "was" working on Susie. Then I joined this forum and found that I was feeling that I wanted to "try" different things here and there. Here and there became ... substituting one oil for another to see how it worked, changing percentages, etc. It's amazing how you can be satisfied with something when you just don't know any better and once you do learn better, you look back upon your ignorant self and cringe.

OK, last revision til after I cook dinner. Again, thank you all for taking the time to provide your thoughts and insights.

Edit: I see that I have to move the "SOAP" over in the bar of soap in order to have it centered.

Revised Blue SoapMason.PNG

I think the name is awesome but the logo does not appeal to me. It looks clinical and the bar of soap obviously does not look hand-made. Also, I don't think putting a picture of a bar of soap on a bar of soap does anything for you!

Have you considered simply using your name as your logo? It's such a memorable evocative name (to me it says RUGGED and RUSTIC!). Here's a 'rugged rustic' font:

Just my 2 cents :)

SoapMason.png

Last edited:
I really like Aline's rustic version too. Maybe you could find a border that looks like bricks of soap to frame the lettering?

Funny thing is that I live in a very rustic/rural area. Yet, the idea of "rustic" and or "hardworking" didn't pop into my head because I've spent days looking at what others have done. Silly me. That idea is perfect for the area and the concept.

Oh well, I knew I'd probably go through about 20 or so designs and/or ideas before I settled on one.

Thanks again for the nudge Aline.

Oh NO! I think you misunderstand. I didn't think that was part of your issue. My skin is not that thin. I took your observations as constructive criticism and something to consider in a revision. As a matter of fact, I re-worked my design to incorporate them.
Liking this one better :smile: I am so jealous you have no competition. How sweet it is! I also very much like Aline's version. Simplistic Rustic can be very easy to work with

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back