Not mixing enough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I am over-thinking this layer thing for this months challenge. I have done lots and lots of layers. As a matter of fact, almost all of my last few batches are layered. I am driving myself nuts LOL.

Anyway, one of my layers...I think I under mixed before I poured. I dispersed TD in oil first, then I added to my batch oils. I zinged away with the sb, which turned out quite lovely. From there I am measuring out my layers, splitting up the oils and the lye into separate batches.

With all of my batch oils being white, and a thicker than normal consistency, i think I didn't really get the batter to a emulsion. At least I am assuming that is what happened, because it is not setting up.

There is no separation. I have never seen false trace before, but from what I have read there should be separation if that was the case (correct me if I am wrong, because i really just don't know).

I was supposed to finish it last night, but the layer just stayed fluid after pouring. I almost just threw it in the oven for a cpop, but I didn't want to do that because of the other layers that weren't cpop.

I let it sit overnight because it was getting too late to continue on. Its been about 15-20 hours and it is still like pudding, which is an improvement from 5am where it was still quite fluid. Did I ruin it or is it just a matter of time before it sets up, considering that it is PROBABLY due to not getting it to emulsion first (?) Which again, I don't know if that is the case, because the td/oil mixture is already at a point that it LOOKS like emulsion, but I know its not, its just a nice consistency pre-lye.

I re-weighed all of the oils and lye that I have left and also, by splitting them up they fit exactly into their individual containers, so it is not due to mis-measurement of ingredients.

I was able to GINGERLY pour another layer on top, which I brought to a definite light trace this time. I skipped looking for emulsion because it already looks like emulsion before I even add the lye.

I'm seriously afraid that after I am done and ready to cut, its going to be squishy in the middle at that layer lol

Back