Not enough water in soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foresthome

Reaction score
I just returned from a trip to go help my father with his cancer treatment, so I am a little distracted, but I made a mistake on my water measurement. I printed out my recipe from my soapmaker3 software. I am making my normal base recipe

Castor Oil 3 ounces 5.8%
Coconut Oil 18 ounces 35.2%
Olive Oil 30 Ounces 58.8%

The recipe read

Lye 7.1 ounces
Water 17.8 ounces

I made one batch this way and after I put it in a warm oven it dawned on me that I always use 19.3 ounces of water. So I double checked on soapcalc, and it calls for 19.3 ounces. Should I just toss this batch??? I am so mad at myself. It is a brown cedarwood soap with copper and green swirls in it.

No..do not toss it...lots of soapmakers use less water. Usually, they are more experienced because a water discount can really accelerate some fragrance/essential oils and you could end up with a sieze right there in your pot...as long as your lye is correct, you will be ok. Actually, you may like the recipe with less water, less time to cure.

Thanks, guys you are such a help. I am not thinking straight. Stress really does affect the brain. It is funny how when I am with my parents and helping with my dad's care, I am fine, when I get home and try to go about my life I am spaced out.

Totally understandable. Being a care giver carries a LOT of stress! Good luck to you & your family.

foresthome said:
Thanks, guys you are such a help. I am not thinking straight. Stress really does affect the brain. It is funny how when I am with my parents and helping with my dad's care, I am fine, when I get home and try to go about my life I am spaced out.

I often use the same recipe with different amounts of water. Depending upon how fast I want thick trace to form, I subtract or add water to my recipe.

The most water I will use is 2.5x the amount of lye used. The least I will use it 1.5x the lye used.

I have never had a problem with this, and it's a good way to control color/swirling.

I made this soap on Wednesday, gelled, and left it in the cooler for 48 hours. Took it out of the molds and cut it last night. It turned out fine. I put my personal soap stamp on them this morning and they are slightly firmer than my usual recipe. I found it easier to work with than some of my softer soaps, I may have discovered something. Thanks for the education on water in soap.

Back